Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2017 7:03:24 AM EDT
Looking for a 15" handguard in M-Lok that won't break the bank. I was looking at Gun Tech via SkidTactical and then I remember Chandler Hardwoods.

What's the hive say on this $59 model? No gas tube indexing required. Basic, but nice-looking.

http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/product-p/ar15-15l.htm

Note: photo above is of the 13" M-Lok handguard
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say go with it. I'm kind of confused by the barrel nut. By the description, I assume it doesn't have indexing holes, but instead has multiple flats for a wrench to go on. How does the handguard secure to it?

I have experience with Guntec handguards for my plinking rifles and they seem good for their prices.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked at Matrix Arms?

Joe Bob's Outfitters just had a sale on them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#3]
They are a matrix handguard. GTG for a budget rail.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say go with it. I'm kind of confused by the barrel nut. By the description, I assume it doesn't have indexing holes, but instead has multiple flats for a wrench to go on. How does the handguard secure to it?

I have experience with Guntec handguards for my plinking rifles and they seem good for their prices.
View Quote
The handguard clamps on, you can see the 3 screws on the bottom that "pinch" the nut.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Matrix Arms is gtg, its about time they stopped making dick mod.

I had these on several pistols and they are solid. I tried getting it to slide/rotate and it did not budge.

Just torque the barrel nut and install.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just ordered one.
View Quote
 Please post again when you get it. I'd be interested in your opinion of it as I'm  always looking for more budget minded options. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used a Matrix handguard on a build. WAY better than your average cheap-o handguard and USA made. I've had zero issue with mine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 Please post again when you get it. I'd be interested in your opinion of it as I'm  always looking for more budget minded options. 
View Quote
They are pretty good for the money.

No idea if they have any variations in MLOK.

The handguards are really slim, I never had them rotate on the barrel nut either. Machining is pretty well done, but the finish is a chalky type of anodizing. Keymod cuts were in spec unlike some budget rails.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
What's the torque value on those three set screws? Did you use Loctite and if so what kind?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the torque value on those three set screws? Did you use Loctite and if so what kind?
View Quote
I used blue loctite, i dont have exact torque values.
I want to say 30-35 in-lbs, similar to midwest industries, err on the low end and use your judgement. I did mine by feel.

Tighten each screw gradually until they are all snug. I would do this equally if possible. After they are tight give the screws a quarter turn.

Dont tighten each screw all at once, keep going from screw to screw until snug.

I tried not to hamfist it since the threads are alluminum. Never had issues with the set screws stripping the handguard.

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking for a 15" handguard in M-Lok that won't break the bank. I was looking at Gun Tech via SkidTactical and then I remember Chandler Hardwoods.

What's the hive say on this $59 model? No gas tube indexing required. Basic, but nice-looking.

http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/product-p/ar15-15l.htm

http://cdn3.volusion.com/jkehl.cgjnk/v/vspfiles/photos/AR15-15L-3T.jpg?1491920879

Note: photo above is of the 13" M-Lok handguard
View Quote

Chandler hardwoods is a seller of the Matrix handquards.
I've used a few for builds, they are the best low-cost rail available IMHO.

Component discussion here....https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/12_Rifles--Uppers--Lowers--Barrels--and-more.html

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 7" Matrix Foxtrot keymod on my ar9 pistol.  Bought it from chandler hardwoods.  Great buy if you need a slim handguard.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got a 7" Matrix Foxtrot keymod on my ar9 pistol.  Bought it from chandler hardwoods.  Great buy if you need a slim handguard.
View Quote
Yup, not a bad option for a side charger as well. Since alot of anti-rotation tabs my not be compatible.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Was hoping they'd have shipped it by now. They have not.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was hoping they'd have shipped it by now. They have not.
View Quote
When did you order? I ordered Sunday night and still nothing
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When did you order? I ordered Sunday night and still nothing
View Quote
The evening of Sat. July 7. I do have an order confirmation and a CC transaction receipt email.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I've ordered from them before, normally it didn't take that long. They were always good to go in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Ordered one from them this past spring.  IIRC they never sent a shipping notice. It just showed up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I just received an email from them saying my rail has been shipped.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Handguard arrived today.

It is SUPER SLIM with IMO great machining for a $59 rail. No scratches, burrs, or machining marks.

Finish is somewhat "chalky" but not too much. No badges, or brand marks of any kind.

Just the rail, but barrel nut, and three machine screws. No instruction sheet (like you need one duhhhh).

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Handguard arrived today.

It is SUPER SLIM with IMO great machining for a $59 rail. No scratches, burrs, or machining marks.

Finish is somewhat "chalky" but not too much. No badges, or brand marks of any kind.

Just the rail, but barrel nut, and three machine screws. No instruction sheet (like you need one duhhhh).

http://i.imgur.com/3zrRCBt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ZKlTEd.jpg
View Quote
Any anti rotation/slip??
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Handguard arrived today.

http://i.imgur.com/3zrRCBt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ZKlTEd.jpg
View Quote
IMO it looks good, the Keymod version had ridges but this looks slim/smooth. I kind of like that one better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any anti rotation/slip??
View Quote
Won't know as I still need to purchase a barrel and a low-profile gas block in order to start assembling the upper. Laid the rail against the upper for a "so far" pic:

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting that it does not have the Matrix roll mark as the three I have do. I purchased mine through Joe Bob's as I do not like the Chandler Hardwoods antiquated order process.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a couple Matrix rails, and none of them have any form of anti rotation.
Mine are the older keymods.
Can't complain for the price!

Looks decent OP.
Be careful, as the finish on mine are pretty weak, they scratch and gouge easily.
Yes, the finish is very chalky on mine as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm curious to know why there is a large round cutout between the first and second M-LOK slots at the forward end of the rail.

Not a QD attachment point.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm curious to know why there is a large round cutout between the first and second M-LOK slots at the forward end of the rail.

View Quote
I wondered the same thing. I just ordered the 15" keymod my self. That round hole is pretty dumb. A lot of things, like a QD swivel base, require 2 consecutive slots, but they jack it up by putting a big round hole between them
I bought despite that because it's cheap and American made.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had asked Matrix about it and was told "The large hole is for a QD insert attachment to go in. You buy a special attachment that you can use with the QD insert. "
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had asked Matrix about it and was told "The large hole is for a QD insert attachment to go in. You buy a special attachment that you can use with the QD insert. "
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does one purchase this "special attachment"?

ETA: Noveske makes a "flush QD sling mount" for $20. Needs to have a 1/2" hole drilled so this may be what CH is talking about.

https://www.noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where does one purchase this "special attachment"?

ETA: Noveske makes a "flush QD sling mount" for $20. Needs to have a 1/2" hole drilled so this may be what CH is talking about.

https://www.noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount
View Quote
Wow $20 for the Noveske is steep!! Hopefully other folks can reply with another option.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Lame! Even radical firearms provides a qd socket milled right into their rails.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
For $60 bucks though? If I recall Seekins makes Radical's handguards. I know it sucks but heck, I'd just get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018ZS5A0S?tag=vglnk-c102-20

$12 and made in USA.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
For 49 bucks from Joe Bob's I gave a 7" a try for my pistol.  Ordered it last Thursday or Friday night and it came today.

The good.  
It shaved a half pound off the YHM Diamond I had on it before.
It looks great.
It went on easily.
Regardless of the know it alls snide comments about key mod, that's what I got.  MI keymod rail section and covers went on without a hitch.  When I removed both rail section and cover, the 'nut' had not marked or deformed the rail in the least.
Barrel nut is steel, very thin but steel.
Cleared a MI lopro gas block easily-set screw type.
Three clamping screws.  They tightened easily to 35 inch pounds with blue lock-tite.

The bad.
Absolutely no anti rotation of any kind, rail or barrel nut.
Not that first hint of instructions.
No barrel nut wrench included.  I don't know what size because I used a large adjustable wrench to tighten.  I think I went between 30-50 ft-lbs but cannot be sure.  To buy a crows foot would solve that issue but adds cost.
The barrel nut clamping surface is as smooth as a puppy's nose.  It may be fine but if you use a bonding agent, I'd recommend roughing up the barrel nut's surface.
Since the barrel nut does not need indexing, the gas tube offers nothing to keep the barrel nut from loosening.  Personally, I'd not use this rail on anything bigger than a 5.56.
No sling attachment points anywhere.  Added cost to buy some to bolt on.

That little 7.5 inch pistol will put it through its paces Wednesday.  We'll see if the rail walks under recoil and if it needs bonding AND if it does, will the bonding hold on a smooth surface.  If not, I'll roughen it and try again.

Overall I'd rate it so far as a useable rail on a BS range toy, but I'd never trust it on a serious use weapon, or on one of my hunting larger caliber ARs.  

If it slips and needs bonding, and the bonding holds, fine, but if bonding doesn't hold or if the barrel nut loosens, epic fail IMO.  We'll see In the coming weeks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For 49 bucks from Joe Bob's I gave a 7" a try for my pistol.  Ordered it last Thursday or Friday night and it came today.

The good.  
It shaved a half pound off the YHM Diamond I had on it before.
It looks great.
It went on easily.
Regardless of the know it alls snide comments about key mod, that's what I got.  MI keymod rail section and covers went on without a hitch.  When I removed both rail section and cover, the 'nut' had not marked or deformed the rail in the least.
Barrel nut is steel, very thin but steel.
Cleared a MI lopro gas block easily-set screw type.
Three clamping screws.  They tightened easily to 35 inch pounds with blue lock-tite.

The bad.
No barrel nut wrench included.  I don't know what size because I used a large adjustable wrench to tighten.  I think I went between 30-50 ft-lbs but cannot be sure.  To buy a crows foot would solve that issue but adds cost.
The barrel nut clamping surface is as smooth as a puppy's nose.  It may be fine but if you use a bonding agent, I'd recommend roughing up the barrel nut's surface.
Since the barrel nut does not need indexing, the gas tube offers nothing to keep the barrel nut from loosening.  Personally, I'd not use this rail on anything bigger than a 5.56.

That little 7.5 inch pistol will put it through its paces Wednesday.  We'll see if the rail walks under recoil and if it needs bonding AND if it does, will the bonding hold on a smooth surface.  If not, I'll roughen it and try again.

Overall I'd rate it so far as a useable rail on a BS range toy, but I'd never trust it on a serious use weapon, or on one of my hunting larger caliber ARs.  

If it slips and needs bonding, and the bonding holds, fine, but if bonding doesn't hold or if the barrel nut loosens, epic fail IMO.  We'll see In the coming weeks.
View Quote
I don't foresee it slipping as I first used this handguard on my 7.62 AR build and have 500 rounds with no rotation or slip. I just don't like how chalk like the surface is which is my only con. And yes if you plan to purchase more I would get a 1 3/16 crows foot for the nut.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't foresee it slipping as I first used this handguard on my 7.62 AR build and have 500 rounds with no rotation or slip. I just don't like how chalk like the surface is which is my only con. And yes if you plan to purchase more I would get a 1 3/16 crows foot for the nut.
View Quote
I actually purchased a really nice US made Williams wrench off of ebay for $20. It wasn't compatible with a torque wrench, but by now I have the torque values down without it. Hitting proper torque values is easy when you don't have to align the nut with a gas tube.

Also if anyone cares Faxon also uses a 1 3/16 barrel nut, so it came in handy.

Seems like the williams wrenches for that price dried up, a Tekton will work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The bad.

View Quote
These are all valid points and it makes me wonder if I'd done better by spending another $30-40 on a GuntecUSA rail and purchased it from "Josh" on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

These are all valid points and it makes me wonder if I'd done better by spending another $30-40 on a GuntecUSA rail and purchased it from "Josh" on the EE.
View Quote
It's a toss up really. The Guntec rails are NSR-ish and I didn't care for the whole timing with shims thing.

Faxon rails are pretty nice, but a bit heavier.

They do have anti rotation tabs though

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Faxon_Firearms_AR_15_Streamline_Handguards_p/fax-streamline-mlok.htm

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I put about 80 rounds through the 5.56 7.5" pistol today and honestly, I'm a bit surprised.  Nothing negative to report.  However, I did not hold the forend, rather grasping the pistol on the front of the mag well and the rail did not move.  For some stupid reason I did not think at the time to actually hold the forend to see if it would slip then.  I guess I know what I'll be trying next week.

Still, I don't trust it for serious use but for a kicks and giggles firearm, so far, so good.

07/31/2017
I put the upper on a SBR lower along with hanging some weight off the forend (TROY short QD VG) and put another 90 rounds through it and the forend has stayed put, not budging at all.  For a kicks and giggles gun IMO it is an excellent bargain and I may even try another rail, a 10" this time on another pistol I have.  I still am the of the opinion that I would never use this on a serious use firearm, such as HD or duty, but for a range gun, why not, unless you happen to be the sort to get off on having the most expensive range toy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I got a Palmetto state Armory 300AAC upper with a similar M-lok hand guard.  Midway sells AN AR Stoner upper that has a similar hand guard.

My hand guard fell off after about 40 rounds. I tightened it up then it shot way low. I checked the alignment and it was about 1/8" high on then end.

I sent it back, PSA sent another. 40 rounds it fell off. I called them and sent it back without tightening it. and a long letter about the problem.
when i got it back it was tight but shot low just like the other one.

The reviews on Midway about the AR Stoner version read the same.

if you get it tight enough to stay on it will warp the hand guard and make the end raise up.

I am thinking the design is flawed, as the barrel nut diameter is too small to properly support the hand guard.

I am going to mount a A2 front sight to the barrel, so I don't have to rely on the hand guard for the sight accuracy.

has any body else had this issue?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For $60 bucks though? If I recall Seekins makes Radical's handguards. I know it sucks but heck, I'd just get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-M-LOK-Standard-Swivel-Adaptor/dp/B018ZS5A0S

$12 and made in USA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-M-LOK-Standard-Swivel-Adaptor/dp/B018ZS5A0S

$12 and made in USA.
The issue is I bought the keymod rail and I normally use a DD or BCM adaptor like that at the very front of the rail, but it requires 2 consecutive keymod slots. On the keymod they have one keymod hole, then the funky round hole, then the rest of the keymod. It kinda makes that from keymod hole useless!
Same thing with OPs mlok rail, the round hole is between 2 mlok slots and interrupts the continuity of the mlok. Radical has machined in qd sockets at the very front, or  other rails just have keymod all the way from one end to the other. Either way is better than this. Yes the price is great and I love buying American and I assembled it and it went together really nice, but now I have to work around a way to mount my sling.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top