AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
1) pull up BOTD pics

2) Whack off onto receiver threads

3) Install barrel

J/K but we have these ? every single day........Moly, Moly EP etc and rock on.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I always use Aeroshell 33ms.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]
33MS Aeroshell bought in a little vial on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
White lithium grease.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#5]
TS-70 Moly Paste.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My first two builds i used mobile1 synthetic wheel bearing grease (red) i had on hand
Then when ordering stuff or my next few builds i splurged on a small 4oz jar of aeroshell33ms
I will never run out lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the past, I've always used lithium grease.

It's good stuff, but it's *really* messy, and stinks.

I've also heard of people using engine assemble lube.  

Is this nicer to work with?

What type of grease do you use?
View Quote

Grease, Molybdenum Disulfide, MIL-G-21164.

Mainly, because before I left the Army 15 years ago I got a lifetime supply, about 4 ounces, for free....
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aeroshell 33MS is what you want ..... I bought a tube 4 years ago and have hardly put a dent in it

It's the proper grease....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Aeroshell 33MS is what you want ..... I bought a tube 4 years ago and have hardly put a dent in it

It's the proper grease....
Quoted:
But it is not the ONLY grease..
Actually, Molykote "G" is what was originally called out on the drawing.  Which is a white aluminum thickened synthetic food-grade grease.

And, Aeroshell 33MS is now called Aeroshell 64 . . .

Other "proper" greases (MIL-G-21164 called out in TM 9-1005-319-23&P):

Aeroshell 17
Nyco 164MS
Nyco GN64
Royco 64
Arpolube 21164
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Actually, Molykote "G" is what was originally called out on the drawing.  Which is a white aluminum thickened synthetic food-grade grease.

And, Aeroshell 33MS is now called Aeroshell 64 . . .

Other "proper" greases (MIL-G-21164 called out in TM 9-1005-319-23&P):

Aeroshell 17
Nyco 164MS
Nyco GN64
Royco 64
Arpolube 21164
View Quote
Grease is grease, you can use Vaseline and it will work just fine.

This subject is so ridiculous and it comes up all the time!

None and let me NONE of the rifles we worked on in the Army EVER had problems because of the lube we used installing a barrel nut!

Geeze!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Mil-spec per the TM.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
EP Moly has been working for me so far.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Grease is grease, you can use Vaseline and it will work just fine.

This subject is so ridiculous and it comes up all the time!

None and let me NONE of the rifles we worked on in the Army EVER had problems because of the lube we used installing a barrel nut!

Geeze!
View Quote
Spit will work in a pinch too.

The point I was making was the grease that was called out on the drawing is different from the grease in the TM . . . Don't get to wrapped up in "which grease should I use".
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Aeroshell...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The point I was making was the grease that was called out on the drawing is different from the grease in the TM . . . Don't get to wrapped up in "which grease should I use".
View Quote
I was just telling my wife the same thing, I don't get wrapped up in which grease to use at all, I use moly bearing grease right now, cause that is what is on my chemical shelf.

The military has a specification for everything they use, but it does not mean it is the only thing that can be used.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Permatex ceramic brake lube.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this, mostly.  I disagree with finding the cheapest crap-tastic axle grease you can find to assemble a rifle with.  Yeah, it'll probably work, but...

I was an "Aero Shell Elitist" for quite some time before I actually found enough information to understand the whole thing about barrel nut grease.  

My first build (in 1984) was almost literally part-by-part, and I got "the real deal" GI grease from a crew chief friend who'd been teaching a bunch of newly minted crew chiefs how to do a brake job on an RF4-C, and wound up with extra.  Later, I bought a cartridge (14 oz) of AeroShell 33MS because it was "MIL-G" correct.  

Since then, I've learned something about what the barrel nut really does, what MIL-G-21164 greases do, and most importantly WHY you need some sort of grease between the nut and the upper.  

The barrel nut clamps the flange of the barrel extension in place (DUH!), applying tension by stretching the aluminum upper.  The grease allows the threads to slide easily enough that the torque applied is really the torque applied and not altered by threads dragging on each other.  

Ideally using a grease that has a viscosity similar to a -21164 grease should give you the most consistent torque, while the other characteristics of these greases allow them to stand up to the application.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Mobile 1 synthetic.

I think that one my uppers I may have used some sort of white lithium grease.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Best I've found over the last ten years (and quite a few rifles) is Loctite LB 8008 Copper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant  (Loctite C5-A).

If you ever need to remove the barrel nut, it will make your life a lot easier.

Stable to 1800 degrees F.

Basically the same stuff you will find all over the inside of new Glock pistols.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Aeroshell. You can buy small quantities that have been repackaged on fleabay etc
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5J6J0A?tag=vglnk-c102-20

This is enough for about 50-100 builds.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top