Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The stock in the link would look good and it appears that it can be taken a part somewhat and the parts could be changed out for parts that fit the build better.  This might work for a scope. Telescope
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe something like this would be more era appropriate?
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164711&CAT=4100

I think i've seen some in brass too

This is a nice looking one, but I can't find any current info or website, so they may be out of business
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2010/09/23/optics_rho_0505/
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The co2 n steampunk accessories are purely cosmetic. I had thought about cutting the tank to shroud the buffer tube n then use a stock like this

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=650750

A wood stock that looked like this grip stock would be ideal.

Do u guys think I should take all anodized ar parts down to a clean aluminum/steel?

No I wouldn't take all of the parts down to the aluminum. The way you have it now looks good. I still think you should mount a old style, muzzle loader type, brass but plate to the tube, flush with the top. Then mount it around the buffer. If you mounted it low, it wouls be just like using a carbine stock.
Check into the plating, if you have any plating places around you. Lot of the managers will toss your stuff in their tanks for cash. The real cost is in the prep work before plating. Polishing and buffing. Any of that you do will save you money.
Some emeory  cloth, and a buffing wheel for your grinder. come buffing compound and away you go.
I've got a guy up here that would chrome plate parts for my bike, after I made them. They were ready to go when I gave them to him.
   Wish I had another lower around here, so I could play around with something like that!
Neat project!

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
How about these for co2 placement.  Keep in mind these are just mock ups and that copper tape will appear to be holding items together.  I would run brass or copper tube covered with gears and such. back into the forward assist.

You guys have some great ideas keep em coming. Thanks gang.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gears n brass would definitely put us in the right genre. But where to put the gears? A skeleton grip with gears would look cool.

With the right assortment of gears, I could see making a rudimentary set of sights from them, front and rear.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Not really digging the new tank position, but bonus points for the Radio Flyer tricycle photo bench.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Im digging the new co2 placement.  steampunk should be relatively functional and streamlined, not just adding shit for the sake of adding shit to make it unwieldy.  you're in a world where instead of electricity you have steam driven devices that also run on tesla type free energy.  

I think you can definitely cog up the selector switch.  maybe into a big coggy knob or round valve type wheel.  you definitely need to put a gatlin trigger on the trigger group once you install that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Still makes me cringe...

But, even I have to admit, that thing looks pretty BA. We need to take it to my range and see the reactions from all the old timers!
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Still makes me cringe...

But, even I have to admit, that thing looks pretty BA. We need to take it to my range and see the reactions from all the old timers!
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't find the thread at the moment as I'm on my phone, but a year or two back
There was a guy on here that put his upper and lower in the oven for a few hours and it baked the
Anodizing to more of a bronze color. Not sure what effect it would have on durability but
This seemed like a good place to bring it up. I'll try and find the thread later. I believe his intentions were to make it look like a cowboy   rifle
But I could see it working here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Not working for me anymore. Is this going to be a weapon you can shoot? Or just a mish mash of pieces parts slapped together?
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
How much does it weigh??
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like something from Bioshock

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Liked the old tank position better, maybe fashion a piece of wood to line up to the end of the tank and the end of the buffer tube as a 'stock?'  

For the gas tube, what about just cutting a slot in a piece of conduit and slipping it over?  Or perhaps copper or Brass tubing?  A touch of solder at both ends to hold it in place, and you're set.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I like it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Im digging the new co2 placement.  steampunk should be relatively functional and streamlined, not just adding shit for the sake of adding shit to make it unwieldy.  you're in a world where instead of electricity you have steam driven devices that also run on tesla type free energy.  

I think you can definitely cog up the selector switch.  maybe into a big coggy knob or round valve type wheel.  you definitely need to put a gatlin trigger on the trigger group once you install that.
Agreed ........I've scanned through a number of steampunk gun threads in different forums(just props) and there's too much random sticking of gears in odd places .

How about large gears incorporated into a bipod ?

A skeleton stock made from brass tubing , bent like you'd bend brakeline , that folds up and over the rest of the rifle ?

Overall , a great project .....one that's been discussed here on ARFcom a few times over the years , but this is the first Ive seen it actually carried forward .....KEEP AT IT !!

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
That just begs for a pigtail gas tube.

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That just begs for a pigtail gas tube.  

I agree, the pig tail looks great!
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
*thumbs up*
I like it!

you need to get a matching wood grip =) these might work for ya http://www.mactecsales.com/nill_ar15_s/1870.htm (a bit pricy tho!)
as for co2 placement, I wonder if you could weld the buffer tube inside it? just to conceal the buffer tube.. then use the co2 tank as the stock

keep at it, I'd love to see it finished!
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the tank either needs to go back to the buttstock position, or maybe a smaller tank brazed vertically to make your butt plate. Looks totally zonked hanging out front.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks pretty cool to me!
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#23]
It would be cool to get a rifle buffer tube then cut the top off of the tank and use the tank as a butt stock kinda like an air force air rifle.

air force condor
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#24]
digging the steampunk thing

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Im loving all the feed back and variantion in opinion over the rifle. I thank you all. It is definitely fun.  

co2 upfront  CONS    heavier front  puts a stress point on   barrel                                                                                                                          

PROS  nice grip for forearm, adds more brass piping, stream lines the steam and
gives the opprtuniy to add more       gear valves
I could have a wood stock

Co2 in rear CONS   Looks like a paint gun, getting tubing to forward assist is a little bit tedious                            

PROS
Keeps the front end less bulky
Provides a butt stock
Im still waying out the pros/cons of each placement.  I bought some more pipe n fittings to run the "steam" back to the forward assist. I think I can break up the line across the receiver and add "T" sections with valves as shown with the black circles on the 2nd pic. I am also looking for a different attachment for the tank to plug into. If I found something shorter I could move the tank down. The new position is reflected on the pic by the lines.  The mag in the photo is just for reference and is not what will be used. Keep those creative juicse flowing fellas.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Just thought of something. The lower can be drilled in certain areas and will still function the same, I would drill and tap some areas to add other tubing or gauges.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like a heck of a project.

I really like the pig tail gas tube someone mentioned earlier, and in a brass or copper color would be ideal.

This type of build seems to beg for a classy looking  brass makers plate of some sort: something like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/berniecram/7407655054/http://www.flickr.com/photos/berniecram/7407655054

I prefer the cylinder at the front, but understand the weight issue. Possibly attaching it directly to the buffer tube and then again using it as a buttstock would be appropriate.

I also see a large curved butt plate on it like you see on large artillery like this:
http://www.imagebase.davidniblack.com/main.php?g2_itemId=3611http://www.imagebase.davidniblack.com/main.php?g2_itemId=3611

What will you be using for magazines? could we get a pick with one to see how the lines flow with one.

Finally, what about putting a small red LED in front of whatever optics you end up with as a "Red Dot" sight... Alternatively, the reticle could be a small fake ruby of some sort...

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I like it! and if needed, I can copper plate anything you want...doesn't even need to be metal as I even plated a ham sandwich once...
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you, I may be requiring your services.

I've been thinking about the co2 tank/steam engine.  Im thinking I've been limiting myself to using the tank when I can make a copper tube jobby that resembles a steam engine.  But I thought of something that may limit position of the steam. In the steampunk world, this weapon would have been fired by steam, and since steam is boiling hot....I dont think that it could serve as any kind of handle or stock or cheek rest. However if the stock were wood it could  appear to be housing a steam engine with tubes and gauges coming out of it. Although I do like seeing the engine as it would add to visual aesthetic of the piece.

In a different direction the engine could still be mounted over the buffer tube and have a cheek riser added to it. A wood grip stock would be awesome. A possible route would be a wooden druganov style stock.  Where it is skeletonized I could house the steam engine and tubing. I could probably find one and cut it down to the stock minus grip and mount it to an ar grip. The buffer tube could be shrouded in copper or brass.

Think on it fellas.

I dont have a weight on it as is but it just keeps evolving right now it is not too heavy and the tank weighs about the same as a cheap aluminum quadrail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I found this online.  Color scheme anyway.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Send me the buffer tube and tank and I'll inlet the tank for the buffer tube....it'll still look cool...but be more symetrical and even work as a decent stock. If you like the idea.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe an XM148 Handguard. It's open underneath so you could hang whatever underneath it. You'd need to find a way to mount the front cap though.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#33]
It needs a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

Seriously, I'm liking this so far, but don't add stuff just for cosmetics because steampunk can become Rube Goldberg quickly. I'd go with a ventilated handguard to cover the gas tube and lose the paintball bottle, it's too recognizable. Think about a brass or copper tube bent to form a rear stock. That would give a place for an extra superfluous gauge.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Forget CO2, make it a functional propane tank and have it spit fire under a heat shield.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#35]
CO2 tank is cool where it's at, but leave it brown and find an older looking gauge. I liked the forward grip being on there too, had a sort of grenade launcher look going.

Two things that pop into my head immediately when I hear steampunk are brass/copper pieces and the color brown (wood, leather). So needs more brass and definitely a  wooden stock.

Just throwing these out there for ideas.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#36]
you need to do something with the magazine (hide it), it doesn't blend.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
you need to do something with the magazine (hide it), it doesn't blend.

Maybe a 10-rounder (I know, blasphemy, but we're trying to blend in here...) and build some gauges, tubing around it, so it's 'hidden', but functional.  You could still use 30's, but a 10 (or even a 20, though you're increasing the amount you have to hide) would require fairly little 'hiding'.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the offers to help fellas, as soon as I truely have a vision for the final look, I will probably need some help.  Ok here is where I am at. As you can see in the reference pictures in the above post, there are 2 different styles of steampunk going on.  Both utilize found objects, brass, copper, gears but the top example shows a more victorian aged rifle with more found parts and a piece milled look. The other 2 are modern/futuristic and have a more factory assembled look.  Since the AR would fall in between these 2 eras, or could even be used in a futuristic setting, I am torn between the 2 styles. I like both but tend to lean towards the futurisitc side since the rifle is way past the victorian age. What do you guys think.  I am also modeling up a buttstock that stays closer to a sopmod stock, but out of copper tube and a brass butt plate.  When I have a little more time I will post pics from sketchup. Thanks guys n gals, all the input really helps to open up the possibilities for this project. Now we just have to make some choices and move forward.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#40]
So I did some more thinking and talking with the boy. We decided to ditch the co2 tank and go with 2 mini vintage brass fire extinguishers as our steam power source. We've also got a brass butt plate coming that we are going to mount to the copper pipe that is shrouding the buffer tube. This copper shroud will serve as a collapsible stock and threaded skeleton keys will be used underneath to fit the pipe into the buffer tube stock holes.  That way you can twits the keys and move the stock to the desired position and lock it down.  I also shrouded the gas tube in copper and added some copper tape over the upper and lower at the front take down pin.  We also went with the shottie heat shield underneath. (Rattle can paint for look and texture) This I will probaly need plated, but first I want to get it all together before I send it off. I can add some gears under some kns anti walk roll pins and along the heat shield. I did more research on carbide lamps and at first thought they would be to big but then I found the mini ones used by miners and I want to mount one of those on the front for a tactical light.  Need a brass horn for the muzzle instead of this silver one but at least it gives the idea.  I was going to add gears to the bolt catch release but cant drill it. I dont have anything to weld with yet and soldering didnt hold. So any help there would be great. Hope you like the direction.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#41]
This is so awesome. Great job on this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd patina the buffer tube, upper and lower, and mag.

How to fake patina

OP, looks good, I have to admit that this is a very intesting build.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]
That's pretty cool.
You could do leather wrap on pistol grip and magazine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#44]
neat
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the new look, very sharp! Maybe you could wrap the pistol grip in leather for the period look.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I was going to add gears to the bolt catch release but cant drill it. I dont have anything to weld with yet and soldering didnt hold. So any help there would be great.

Maybe JB Weld? (I´ve never worked with it so it might not hold)

The one thing that i am familiar with that i think would hold, is UHU Endfest 300 as it´s called in German, but really, any high grade 2 component glue should probably work if applicated right.

I´d try that. Worst thing that could happen is it falls off but with proper degreasing with mineral spirits it should be rather "bomb proof".
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Lol, picked up some jb this afternoon, gonna try it. If that doesn't work we'll try the German stuff. Thanks for the assistance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe you could make something with this.   Or maybe use it for ideas. I like the look of the rifle and definitely want to see it work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks great, very cool.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I like it, especially the color of the metal. Gears? Put a big brass bolt logo on the magazine area?

And maybe just paint an ACOG clone Brass color and put fake ribs around it to resemble a telescope.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top