Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:12:23 PM EDT
I accidentally posted this in the AR discussions thread.  If reposting violates rules somehow, I apologize in advance.

So here's where I'm at -

Purchased:

Aim Surplus lower
DPMS LPK
ALG Combat trigger
Hogue handgrip
Vltor buffer tube (purchased by accident, but it seems to do the trick)
PSA spring and buffer
Magpul CRT stock
Spikes NiB BCG
Gunfighter charging handle
Primary Arms blemish red dot sight (for $60 it seemed like a good place to start with optics at the very least)

My quandary at the moment is this - it seems like the PSA upper receiver sets are so cost effective to purchase that I'd be a fool not to buy this instead of other parts. I'm looking at
PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Light Weight upper with a Midwest Industries t 12 rail package and a YHM 28 5M2 muzzle break without teeth. Am I wrong about the cost effectiveness of PSA complete uppers? I've read some discussions here about PSA barrels that made me think they are quality, esp. for the price.

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. This would be a target, home defense, SHTF gun.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was building my first few ARs I made the mistake of buying cheap optics. Do yourself a favor and don't waste the $60 on the red dot; you're just gunna replace down the road anyways. Save up and get an EoTech. Before I owned one, I thought they were a waste of money and all hype. Boy was I wrong...

Keep an eye on the EE, you might find one there for a good price.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When I was building my first few ARs I made the mistake of buying cheap optics. Do yourself a favor and don't waste the $60 on the red dot; you're just gunna replace down the road anyways. Save up and get an EoTech. Before I owned one, I thought they were a waste of money and all hype. Boy was I wrong...

Keep an eye on the EE, you might find one there for a good price.

Have you owned Primary Arms products and had a problem with them in the past?

The rule of thumb about cheap optics doesn't really apply to PA, their stuff is GTG, and while they won't stay on as long as an Aimpoint or stand being submerged to a ridiculous depth like aimpoint they are pretty heavy duty in their own right.  And the customer service at Primary Arms is some of the BEST online.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the thoughts, folks, but I've purchased the PA site and it seems quite well manufactured, esp. for the price.  Yes, I may upgrade in the future but for now I've got it and I'm going to use it.  In fact, I may post my thoughts about it on this board after a thousand rounds or so.

Any thoughts on other things?  I'm looking at lights and backup sights as well, so any comments would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you owned Primary Arms products and had a problem with them in the past?

The rule of thumb about cheap optics doesn't really apply to PA, their stuff is GTG, and while they won't stay on as long as an Aimpoint or stand being submerged to a ridiculous depth like aimpoint they are pretty heavy duty in their own right.  And the customer service at Primary Arms is some of the BEST online.

No, I have no experience with Primary Arms optics; I'm an EOTech man myself. But after reading your comment, I decided to do some research, which in turn led me to purchasing one (30mm red dot with cantilever mount) to form my own opinion. It'll be here next week. I figure I'll try it out on my 10/22 and maybe my 7.62x39 AR since I'm just using a junky Bushnell Trophy FACOG at the moment. From what I've gathered, I expect to be presently surprised. Sounds like you really get your money's worth with these optics, and then some...
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Please post your thoughts here, among other places, or send me an email.  I'd love to get your thoughts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top