Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:45:46 AM EDT
Guys,
I am a new to the AR world and am putting together my first AR15.  So far I have built the lower as follows:

Aero Precision AP15 Lower
Daniel Defense LPK
Magpul MOE stock on milspec tube
Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard

I am trying to decide on the upper to pair with it and my choices are as follows:
1.)  Spikes 16" Mid-length upper from AIM Surplus for $479.99, including shipping
2.)  BCM 16" Mid Length upper from BCM for $533.95, including shipping, but I would also have to purchase a handguard ($30 budget number)

Do you think it is worth the extra $83.96 for the Spikes or should I get the Spikes and put the saved money towards BUISs?  The gun will be used for general target practice, home defense, and occasional hunting.  The specs between the two are very similar so I was hoping the forum members could steer me in the right direction.

This site has been a wealth of knowledge and I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Flip a coin.

Some guys will tell you that the BCM is worth the extra cost, others will tell that the Spikes is a better bargin.

Just give me a Mil Surp Colt or FN M16A1 upper for $300 and I'm happy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Although you can't go wrong with either, I would go with the spikes.
The reason being you would still have to purchase a BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) if you buy the BCM.
When you buy Spikes, you get the BCG as well as a tungsten  buffer(which is great). I have Spikes and I love it!
Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Although you can't go wrong with either, I would go with the spikes.
The reason being you would still have to purchase a BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) if you buy the BCM.
When you buy Spikes, you get the BCG as well as a tungsten  buffer(which is great). I have Spikes and I love it!
Just my .02

The number he listed above for the BCM includes the BCG.

My vote goes to BCM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
So far it is one vote for BCM and one for Spikes.  Any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
BCM is the flavor of the month. But I'd personally go with Spikes. The benefits of spending that extra $80 is is going to be largely perceived.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just faced the same decision (with the same uppers), and voted with my wallet for Spike's.

After researching (exhaustively), I just didn't feel the extra $$ was justified.  I am no expert, though.  Just my opinion.

William
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not own a Spike's or Bravo company upper, lower, or complete rifle.  I have not purchased from Spike's, but I have purchased some items from Bravo Company.  I do not know Spike's very well, but they seem to be doing things right.  I do have much love in my heart for Bravo Company.  They are in my back yard, and they have always treated me well.  That said, and considering the specs are similar, I'd be inclined to get the Spike's.  The $80 saved by getting the Spike's upper over the BCM can be put toward Troy folding rear sight, or a DD or Troy fixed rear sight and ammo.  My reasoning is because my shooting hobby exists on a shoestring budget.  Your situation may be different, and if so, get whichever one you like best.  I really do not think you can make a wrong choice between the two options.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I too am currently in a build project.

My two main uppers will be either the BCM 16" BFH middy ($475) or a Noveske N4 16" Recce upper ($875)

- BCM Middy ($475) + BCG/Charging Handle ($135) + Rear Troy BUIS ($125) + Handguards ($30) = $765

- Noveske Upper ($875) - FREE COS BLEM LOWER ($150) = $725

But you already got the lower so I would say go BCM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#9]
cant go wrong with the BCM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Im gonna say something different, and tell you to look on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Im gonna say something different, and tell you to look on the EE.

Good deals are easy to find in the EE. Hell I've got a new BCM middy with larue rail selling in there right now for about $200 lower than list price from BCM and I've seen Many other great deals as well. I would check out the EE if I were you.

ETA: I would link you my sale but that would be way too much of a "shameless plug" IM me if your interested.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top