Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 3:31:27 PM EDT
I've always been a fan of the best possible materials for a build, whether it be a pistol or a rifle.  I'm a little new to all the manufacturers out there so I could really use some friendly advice.  I'm looking to build a 5.56 AR Special Purpose Rifle with a 20"- 24" bbl  from the ground up.  Cost is not a factor, and I'm looking for 1/2MOA if at all possible.  I'm not all wrapped up about rails and all that tactical stuff, but I do not want a stainless barrel.  I already have the lower covered, so all I'm worried about is the upper.  What would be the very best quality parts I could use?  So far I'm looking at a Krieger Barrel, a Young National Match bolt and carrier, and Hogue furniture.  Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've always been a fan of the best possible materials for a build, whether it be a pistol or a rifle.  I'm a little new to all the manufacturers out there so I could really use some friendly advice.  I'm looking to build a 5.56 AR Special Purpose Rifle with a 20"- 24" bbl  from the ground up.  Cost is not a factor, and I'm looking for 1/2MOA if at all possible.  I'm not all wrapped up about rails and all that tactical stuff, but I do not want a stainless barrel.  I already have the lower covered, so all I'm worried about is the upper.  What would be the very best quality parts I could use?  So far I'm looking at a Krieger Barrel, a Young National Match bolt and carrier, and Hogue furniture.  Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

What is your lower?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm running a POF with a match trigger.  I plan on using the lower with a couple different uppers.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Centurion Arms builds the best SPRs on the market.  They are available in the exact same configuration that the US Mil uses and run reliably.  You can add the Mil Spec can for even better performance...  

If you have the cash, go with Centurion Arms.  Reviews are at M4 carbine dot net
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Centurion Arms builds the best SPRs on the market.  They are available in the exact same configuration that the US Mil uses and run reliably.  You can add the Mil Spec can for even better performance...  

If you have the cash, go with Centurion Arms.  Reviews are at M4 carbine dot net

While I'm not doubting the quality of Centurion Arms, I don't think it falls within the OP's parameters on any level. 1) If it is an exact clone of what the US Mil uses, it will not shoot sub MOA (the original contracts called for 1.5 MOA if I remember correctly). 2) It will have the KAC rail system, which I don't believe falls within the OP's wishlist of no tactical rails. 3) He can get more gun for the same price if he doesn't want all the bells and whistles that accompany a Mk 12 clone. 4) That bbl is stainless, which is also not what he wanted.

OP, my advice would be to take your time and do your research. Start by look at RRA's Varmint series. Their niche in the market is very much in the area you're looking for. Once you find the features you like, build one yourself. Krieger is certainly the name that comes to my mind for top quality bbls, but most of theirs are stainless, so that might be a problem for you. Get an A2 stock, BCM upper (only $87!!), a free float tube, and call it a day (you also might want to consider not getting the bbl threaded if accuracy is really important).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Why no stainless barrel?  They are generally going to be more accurate as Stainless is easier to machine and polish?

I have seen several Centurion builds and all shot well under 1 MOA with MK 262.  I assume they would do even better with Gold Medal Match.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why no stainless barrel?  They are generally going to be more accurate as Stainless is easier to machine and polish?

I have seen several Centurion builds and all shot well under 1 MOA with MK 262.  I assume they would do even better with Gold Medal Match.  

Oh, I completely agree on getting a stainless bbl, but the OP said specifically he didn't want one (in bolded red font).

Quoted:

I have no idea why, since that's generally the best choice for a precision rifle. You may be right about the Centurion Builds and accuracy; I was just going off what you said about it being exactly what the military uses.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I just built using a young NM M16 bolt and carrier, VLTOR MUR1 upper, Krieger 22" stainless barrel. BCM/VLTOR gunfighter charging handle,YHM smooth free float handguard, and  MI low profile gas block. I am extremely happy with the set up. I'm not quite getting 1/2 MOA just yet but with a load devoloped and a little more barrel break in, I should be able to get there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I just built using a young NM M16 bolt and carrier, VLTOR MUR1 upper, Krieger 22" stainless barrel. BCM/VLTOR gunfighter charging handle,YHM smooth free float handguard, and MI low profile gas block. I am extremely happy with the set up. I'm not quite getting 1/2 MOA just yet but with a load devoloped and a little more barrel break in, I should be able to get there.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great info. Can I please see a picture of this setup?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree about the Centurion Arms MK12 you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
sure, didnt see this until this morning so I will have to snap a pic when I get home tonight.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top