Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2010 5:19:00 PM EDT
Scowering the internet looking for good prices and where to buy for my first build.

So far I have found
Aero Precision Lower $80 @ surplusammo
DPMS LPK $52 @ surplusammo
Tapco t6 stock $50 @ surplusammo

Need upper 5.56 1-7 preferred but will do a 1-9.

was thinking about a DPMS Oracal complete upper from Midway for $415 but read it's 4140 steel Chrome molly matte. also found Del ton complete upper @ shadez-of-gray.com for $399

I really like spike's tatical just don't know if i wanna go the extra $125

Think i would prefer a chromed lined barrel . I was told to only buy 4150 steel barrels. I know nothing about the different steels.

I could build the upper from "scratch" if it will save me a buck.

Going with iron sights for now...will add optics later on...

Trying to keep cost down on my first build.

Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 5:43:53 PM EDT by Dogs_of_War]
You can get a surplus arms for $60 at AIM.
Also take a gander at Del Ton upper kits.
I have a Del Ton 7.62X39 barrel that I am happy with.

What irons are you looking at?
Magpul is you want inexpensive. Troys if you want to get more pricey.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:44:06 PM EDT
If you have even thought about going a little higher, go with the Spike's. It is far and away a better product than DPMS or Delton. The specs don't lie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:54:24 PM EDT
prob. magpul on the sights.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:57:15 PM EDT
yeah, I really like Spike's....if money wasn't an issue i would pull the trigger on Spike's...still looking.....found DPMS Oracle rifle kit all except the lower rec'er. for $400, just don't want that lite barrel. but for that price...man i dunno.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:11:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By notarget:

was thinking about a DPMS Oracal complete upper from Midway for $415 but read it's 4140 steel Chrome molly matte. also found Del ton complete upper @ shadez-of-gray.com for $399

I really like spike's tatical just don't know if i wanna go the extra $125

AIM has them for $480 with free shipping.

It's an $80 difference, not $125...if it matters. Factor in shipping and it might be another $10 making the difference $70

1:7 twist, chrome lined, 4150 steel, m4 feed ramps, mpi and HPT tested, lifetime warranty, that's what $70 extra gets you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:46:11 PM EDT
AIM?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:01:30 PM EDT
AIM?

AIM surplus. Located in Ohio, their a site sponsor at the top of the page.
I get tons of stuff from them, great people!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:38:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 8:38:59 PM EDT by WarLord31]
notarget - don't build the upper from scratch. It won't save you money. You're going to spend from $50-$80 in tools if you assemble a stripped upper, barrel, gas tube, etc. from scratch... without scratching it up.

Buy a complete upper instead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:53:03 AM EDT
Negative. You will not have to buy any tools whatsoever. If someone says that you it is a good idea to buy these tools I support that but if you can easily assemble the whole rifle like I did, take the gun up to a gun smith ( you need to have headspace checked anyway), and have him tighten down the barrel nut for you and tighten down the castle nut thats it and usually if you have the guy do it at your local firing range, he will usually just do it for free because they are not going to charge you an hour of labor for 30 seconds of work. So like I said buy the tools if you want but you really do not have to. Just take it to a pro and he will tighten them down for you for either free or really small price nowhere near the price for the tools. But if you are going to be doing alot of upper receiver work yourself, the cost of tools should not even be a factor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 1:28:12 AM EDT by WarLord31]

Originally Posted By homedefender83:
Negative. You will not have to buy any tools whatsoever. If someone says that you it is a good idea to buy these tools I support that but if you can easily assemble the whole rifle like I did, take the gun up to a gun smith ( you need to have headspace checked anyway), and have him tighten down the barrel nut for you and tighten down the castle nut thats it and usually if you have the guy do it at your local firing range, he will usually just do it for free because they are not going to charge you an hour of labor for 30 seconds of work. So like I said buy the tools if you want but you really do not have to. Just take it to a pro and he will tighten them down for you for either free or really small price nowhere near the price for the tools. But if you are going to be doing alot of upper receiver work yourself, the cost of tools should not even be a factor.

Well maybe in your neck of the woods they'll do that 30 seconds of work for free. And if his gunsmith finds some things outrightly badly wrong, its not going to be free to correct the mess-up then.

But I hear ya.

I've assembled a few stripped lowers without any of the special tools the online gunstores will sell you. I used just what I had in my regular toolboxes (2 decades worth), was patient and careful, and didn't bugger anything up. I'm just saying that if you wanted to build it with a bit more professionalism, without scratching or goring anything up, having a set of tools and jigs helps a lot.

And if you're going to attempt to build these completely from the true barebones, with all the pins and springs not even installed yet, you might as well get some of the right tools and/or jigs... or you'll be buying some more pins and springs to replace the ones that flew away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:14:51 AM EDT
So far I have found
Aero Precision Lower $80 @ surplusammo

Dan's Ammo still has the Aero Precision lowers for $60. Good choice on the Aero. The fit and finish on them is superb.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:34:54 AM EDT
Look at the J&T "Commando" upper with LW CL barrel .
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:53:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Calgunner:

where do i find that upper?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:54:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WarLord31:
notarget - don't build the upper from scratch. It won't save you money. You're going to spend from $50-$80 in tools if you assemble a stripped upper, barrel, gas tube, etc. from scratch... without scratching it up.

Buy a complete upper instead.

My uncle's father-in-law used to own a gun range...he may be able to help me with that part of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:01:51 AM EDT

got it..thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:11:53 PM EDT
I just ordered a BCM 16" midlength upper while their summer sale is going on for $385 (no handguards). I have done a ton of research since this is my first build and I heard nothing but good things about BCM and their cusomer service is top-notch. (no personal experience though) hope this is helpful
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:52:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 5:53:55 PM EDT by Calgunner]

got it..thanks

I love my J&T Commando build using the LW CL barrel (Put a EA old school Aluminium CAR stock & CMMG SS conversion unit on a McKay A2 lower with EA LPK and its a Rimfire tack driver and my CMMG Evo BOHA parts & mags are commin soon ...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:11:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By awall1214:
I just ordered a BCM 16" midlength upper while their summer sale is going on for $385 (no handguards). I have done a ton of research since this is my first build and I heard nothing but good things about BCM and their cusomer service is top-notch. (no personal experience though) hope this is helpful

does that come with the bolt and charging handle?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:47:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By awall1214:

does that come with the bolt and charging handle?

complete bolt and CH adds another $135
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:21:16 AM EDT
If your really on a budget JSEsurplus.com has a complete upper for $335. Not nearly as nice as the spikes or BCM but would probably run fine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:19:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 6:27:50 AM EDT by notarget]
can anyone tell me the difference between these 3 upper receivers?

standard A3
A4 (M4 feed ramps)
A2 Style

?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:25:31 AM EDT

can anyone tell me the difference between this 3 upper receivers?

standard A3
A4 (M4 feed ramps)
A2 Style

?

The standard A3 is a flat top upper without M4 feed ramps.
The so called A4 is a flat top like the A3 but has M4 feed ramps for barrels with M4 extentions.
The A2 style has a carry handle rear sight and (no flat top).

Personally I would order the upper with the M4 feed ramps
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:30:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

can anyone tell me the difference between this 3 upper receivers?

standard A3
A4 (M4 feed ramps)
A2 Style

?

The standard A3 is a flat top upper without M4 feed ramps.
The so called A4 is a flat top like the A3 but has M4 feed ramps for barrels with M4 extentions.
The A2 style has a carry handle rear sight and (no flat top).

Personally I would order the upper with the M4 feed ramps

not clear on the M4 extentions, Is this something that is preferred or not needed?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:47:06 AM EDT
M4 feed ramps are desireable but not required. I have some weapons with and some without. The M4 ramps are lowered and a beat up out of spec magazine is more likely to work with them. But standard feed ramps work great as long as your magazines are in spec.

Here is a comparison of the different feed ramp configurations.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:36:26 AM EDT
If you're trying to be cheap, just go with a del-ton or J&T kit for about $400 and pickup a lower somewhere. Then add a rear sight, you can have a complete rifle for about $600.

If you're trying to do better, might as well jump in with both feet and spend the $800 for a top tier rifle that you assemble from picked parts or just get a spikes complete.

You might be able do it cheaper if you're willing to wait waiting for sales or getting parts off the EE.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:40:17 AM EDT
I think you can still get the S&W M&P's for $600 from CDnninvestments.com (after $100 rebate)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:06:24 AM EDT
thanks for the pics!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:20 PM EDT
you can find cheaper parts on the EE for the things like stock/buffer/rails/grips ....... hell even complete uppers lowers and rifles.

the market is soft right now... do ALOT of research before you buy, you can most likely find the same thing cheaper used.
Top Top