Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 12:30:17 PM EDT
Does anyone have any pro/cons for these uppers? please let me know.
R guns @ AIM Surplus
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If that upper has the specs you want then pull the trigger. These will sell out fast, perhaps by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu five left and i wont have cash till this weekend at the earliest. Sold my last ar after the big o took over and am sitting on  a lower waiting for cash to order an upper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
that doesn't answer my question guys. It isn't for me I have two ARs but my buddy at work is looking for one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu five left and i wont have cash till this weekend at the earliest. Sold my last ar after the big o took over and am sitting on  a lower waiting for cash to order an upper.

relax, they've had them in stock for a while now

that doesn't answer my question guys. It isn't for me I have two ARs but my buddy at work is looking for one.

AIM has been out of spikes uppers for a couple of weeks, they should be getting more soon.  I would (and have) spend the $80

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The barrel is not chrome-lined.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel is not chrome-lined.

see now that is the positive feed back I was looking for.

Yes and in my choice would be the spikes's I will have to talk my buddy into $80 more for known quality
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, I just checked AIM's industry forum and they're expecting spike's uppers to be in by Friday.  They've been selling out in a few days, so he better make up his mind quick

rguns upper also doesn't have m4 feed ramps, barrel is only 4140, who knows where the bolt came from.  It might be ok...might not.  I could afford to take the chance because I only live 30 minutes from rguns and can take it in for service.  But AIM doesn't seem to sell junk.

Another thing to think about, the spike's comes with free shipping, shipping on the rguns upper is only about $9...but still...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Well then..................I suggest you have your BUDDY do his own research like everyone else does.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well then..................I suggest you have your BUDDY do his own research like everyone else does.

well he needs a patrol rifle and I have a better knowledge of an AR than he does. He was impressed with my build that I just completed and trusts my judgement. I am asking to find out on companies I have never heard of. Not everyone that owns a AR has to be in the loop on the quality of parts.

there are reasons why people have "BUDDIES" everyone one of them have a knowledge and know how in different areas. mine is going in AR, it is small at this point but growing
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well he needs a patrol rifle and I have a better knowledge of an AR than he does. He was impressed with my build that I just completed and trusts my judgement. I am asking to find out on companies I have never heard of. Not everyone that owns a AR has to be in the loop on the quality of parts.

there are reasons why people have "BUDDIES" everyone one of them have a knowledge and know how in different areas. mine is going in AR, it is small at this point but growing

Patrol rifle?  So this is going to be used on duty?

Then definately forget about that rguns upper, go with the spikes or better still a BCM.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Rguns seem to be junk. I would not use one for a duty rifle. Your "buddy" can get on the Internet & find a Colt, BCM, Spike's, DD for himself after you mention it to "him."
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
You get what you paid for. $399 is a damn good price with BCG and CH included, but ONLY for plinker toy. If you're buddy is wanting this rifle for duty use (whether military or police) I would advise against this upper. I just got Spike's mid length LE upper with 9" BAR rail and it is SAWEEET. A little bit more mulah but the quality and name back themselves up.

You're buddy is going to kick himself if he gets this R upper, then in a few weeks wishes he hasn't and is stuck with it. Spend the extra for something FAR better.

Like I said, range toy/ paper hole puncher= sure why not. Duty rifle, competitive rifle, SHTF rifle=nooooooooo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't speak on the upper but I have a Rguns lower and I hate the SOB.  Fit and finish is very bad IMO.  I have it on an old parts gun I threw together.  It works fine but I am not happy with the cosmetics.  It is in spec however and has a tight mag well which works for GI mags but not PMags.  My advice, shell out a few bucks more and get better quality.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
If it is going to be a patrol rifle, I think that the rifle should be among the best in components for reliability reasons. Would suggest chrome lined components so just go with a spikes. I own a spikes upper and lower with bcm components so its the best of both worlds and it is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a firm believer in Chrome lined parts and I am very fond of Spike's. I never said I was looking to get a Rguns upper I just wanted some info on it. I think he can wait for the spikes uppers to come back in stock. Plus he keeps saying he wants one but I haven't seen him go any further than talking about it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I am a firm believer in Chrome lined parts and I am very fond of Spike's. I never said I was looking to get a Rguns upper I just wanted some info on it. I think he can wait for the spikes uppers to come back in stock. Plus he keeps saying he wants one but I haven't seen him go any further than talking about it.

They are back in stock, right now.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
"R Guns" claims to be a manufacturer/dealer/DoD contractor. They apparently purchase the raw or semi-machined forgings and finish them in-house.I've got one atop a DPMS lower. Functions flawlessly. The upper has the same forge mark that my Bushmaster has (keyhole, Cerro, I believe). BCG has an "F" stamp on the bolt. It has the M4 feed ramps cut into the reciever. No, it's not chrome lined, but so what? Just keep it clean. Everything appears to be in spec. Fits up nicely with the lower. I've sent probably a couple hundred rounds of .223 down the pipe and a thousand or more .22 down it. I am shooting 2" inch groups a 50 yards with the Ciener .22 kit. It cycles better on this upper than it does with my A3 Bushy., FWIW,YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"R Guns" claims to be a manufacturer/dealer/DoD contractor. They apparently purchase the raw or semi-machined forgings and finish them in-house.I've got one atop a DPMS lower. Functions flawlessly. The upper has the same forge mark that my Bushmaster has (keyhole, Cerro, I believe). BCG has an "F" stamp on the bolt. It has the M4 feed ramps cut into the reciever. No, it's not chrome lined, but so what? Just keep it clean. Everything appears to be in spec. Fits up nicely with the lower. I've sent probably a couple hundred rounds of .223 down the pipe and a thousand or more .22 down it. I am shooting 2" inch groups a 50 yards with the Ciener .22 kit. It cycles better on this upper than it does with my A3 Bushy., FWIW,YMMV.

That would explain why their lower I had was so far out of spec, I would pass on anything with the rgun branding. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would explain why their lower I had was so far out of spec, I would pass on anything with the rgun branding. YMMV.
Some folks live on a budget. It does what I want for the $$$. If you've got extra $$$, get whatever you fancy. I am just relaying first hand experience for the OP. I've got a decent shooter for about $600 and some change. IMO, quality is on par with DPMS, Double Star, Delton, etc. I hear plenty of trash talk about DPMS also but have never had any bad experience with them either. Keep in mind, buying a tack driver don't make you a tack driver. If you are just a casual shooter like me, these kits will do fine. If you are a disciplined competition shooter, you'll want top shelf.

BTW, it fits just as good to the Bushmaster lower.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#20]
My first question is if this is going to be a duty weapon why is he looking to build one? Most manufacturers have LE purchase programs that simply require authorization on department letterhead and a copy of your ID. LE pricing is typically incredibly low unless you are looking at Colt (unless your agency has a purchase agreement). Secondly most agencies won't allow a duty weapon to be "built" and will only allow a "production" weapon. As for the building of one....I stumbled upon this while researching info for a build I'm looking into doing for my son's 1st AR.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks live on a budget. It does what I want for the $$$. If you've got extra $$$, get whatever you fancy. I am just relaying first hand experience for the OP. I've got a decent shooter for about $600 and some change. IMO, quality is on par with DPMS, Double Star, Delton, etc. I hear plenty of trash talk about DPMS also but have never had any bad experience with them either. Keep in mind, buying a tack driver don't make you a tack driver. If you are just a casual shooter like me, these kits will do fine. If you are a disciplined competition shooter, you'll want top shelf.

BTW, it fits just as good to the Bushmaster lower.

Agreed, I have had good luck with dpms, model 1 and other budget brands-one of the few I have had issue with is RGUNs.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top