Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2006 1:59:48 PM EDT
use the carrier and bolt  or do i need a new one for a new barreled  upper?

i did a search and found a little bit of info but not alot..

the bolt and carrier have only about 500 / 700 rounds through it...

if i can get away with reusing the carrier and bolt i would like to..

its an armalite m15a2 middie "kickin my self for not getting a flat top"

thanks for the info in advance
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
double check it, just like any part after installation and use it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If your using the barrel from your A2 set-up on your new receiver, then yes. If your buying a whole new upper and using the old bolt from the A2, then yes, but....................you MIGHT wan't to get the headspacing checked. With a round count as low as 500 / 700 your probably safe. But better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys

how do ya check head space??

thanks again
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
no i will be getting a barreled upper if i do it
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you are using the same bolt and barrel, there is no need to check anything, its imposible for the headspace to change.  If you are just swapping uppers, you are good to go.

+1.  Changing the upper receiver would be a cheaper alternative to buying a new BCG, if you had the tools to do it.  You can sell the A2 receiver here and make your money back.  Or you can just buy a new bolt if you want and use your existing carrier if your getting a new complete upper (also a cheaper alternative to buying a whole new BCG).

You check headspace using "GO, NO GO," and FIELD" gauges.  From what I've read, people here argue about which gauge to use.  I have all 3 of them and use each one just to make sure.

ETA: .
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I understand the go should close on the guage.
no-go shouldn't close on the guage.
what does a field guage tell you?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Mosin Nagant headspace page

If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gauge but not on a FIELD gauge (below) the rifle is considered safe to fire using factory new ammunition, but not safe to fire using reloaded or used cartridge cases.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top