Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:24 PM EDT
I have a replacement buttpad for my cracked A1 buttstock pad.

From seeing lots of A1 buttstock screws in my time, I realize the screw that goes into the buffer tube has a drop of red loctite, and the sling swivel screw may have red loctite, too.

Aside from using a hollow-ground screwdriver bit of the correct size, can anyone suggest a way to defeat the loctite and remove the screws without boogering them up too much?

Thanks in advance,

uxb
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The stuff on the screws isn't  really a thread locker. It was applied to the screws as a part of their manufacturing process. Its purpose is to provide an interference fit to the screws, in the tapped holes they will be put in. The stuff just prevents the screws from loosening on their own, from vibration.
If you keep the blade of the screwdriver ( hollow ground would be best) firmly in the bottom of the screw slot,you should have no problem removing it without boogering it up.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, VAPORTRAIL.

I understand now - I thought that was loctite.  I'm have the Brownell's set of hollow-ground bits so I'll just drop a little Kroil on there, let it sit overnight, and put a little elbow into it.

Thanks again.

uxb
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top