Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:20:44 AM EDT
I just received my DPMS 3-prong flash hider to install on my 16" lighweight barrel.

My first question is; how should it be timed?  One prong at the 12  o' clock position, or two prongs at the 12 o'clock position?

Second, the damn thing has no wrench flats along the sides. How do I torque it onto the barrel without scratching the piss out of it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I think timing on 3-prong FH's is personal preference.  Some people don't bother.  Others like it to be symmetrical, with one prong or slot exactly up or down.  Yet others like a prong to be in the 12 o'clock position so that any flash that escapes doesn't go into your line of sight.

As for torqueing it, there's a tool that has 3 holes for the prongs.  It attaches to a 1/2" drive and fits onto the FH.  It might still cause some finish damage.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
No timing on the 3 prong.  Should be installed with split washer.

There is a special wrench made to tighten them.  You can use a barrel vise, a piece of leather and vice grips.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

Any idea where'd I get this 3 prong tool?  I'm having trouble identifying it through my normal parts sources.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Any idea where'd I get this 3 prong tool?  I'm having trouble identifying it through my normal parts sources.

They are mil-surp items.  A surplus store might have them.  Used to see them all the time on Ebay before they banned AR parts sales.  They go for about 10 bucks when you can find them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

They are mil-surp items.  A surplus store might have them.  Used to see them all the time on Ebay before they banned AR parts sales.  They go for about 10 bucks when you can find them.

Would the GI issue wrench work on 3-prong FH's? If so Bushmaster has them.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
The 3 prong tool is a special tool...I'll try to find a pic.

Damn.....no luck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
If you would like to borrow one, i have a 3 prong wrench. But i'd like to hang on to it, so it's not for sale. but you're more than welcome to borrow it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you would like to borrow one, i have a 3 prong wrench. But i'd like to hang on to it, so it's not for sale. but you're more than welcome to borrow it.

Thank you for the generosity, but I just found one at Model 1 Sales.  Their "G.I. barrel wrench" has a suspicious looking pattern on the face that I believe matchs up with the 3-prong flash hider.  For $8 I can afford to risk it.

Model 1 Sales  "GI Barrel Wrench"

Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#9]
The wrench will look like two triangles. Their pic does not appear to be the correct wrench.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
You need this wrench:

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Place the barrel in barrel vise jaws... do NOT use an action block for this operation.

Use an old butcher knife blade stuck in the prongs on the FH to tighten.  

No "timing"... when it's tight, stop.  You are done.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top