Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:37 PM EDT
I've built a few AKs and an RPK and am burned out on that. I was surprised to see the price you could build an AR for. It's a good savings over $900+ for a new Bushmaster. I've also read that it's easier than doing an AK. Anyway, I was hoping for a recommendation on parts. What I'm interested in building is something that looks military, doesn't look all tricked out, is above-average accurate, and doesn't cost me a fortune.

It seems like a Stag lower from AIM is a good start. I'd like to get a match-grade trigger group. For an upper, I like the fixed carry handle, flash-hider look, no stainless steel. Does anybody have any specific recommendations for parts, vendors, etc. Newbie questions, I know. Thanks for the help.

Pete
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:28:39 PM EDT
I built a midlength just a short while ago and bought everything for mine from vendors in EE. Great luck, there's really a good bunch of guys in there who will get you setup right.

In specific, I bought most everything from Denny's Guns (GTS) and BrightFlashlights.

For good cost/performance. I've been really happy with the CMT/Stag parts. I have a CMT upper reciever, stock, B/BC, and LPK.

Lowers I really have to give it to Mega.

As for your barrel, there's obviously quite a few places you can go with that. Depends on your wants. Same with the trigger. Although RRA's 2-stage seems to be a lot of people's choice.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:06:02 PM EDT
I recently ordered an RRA stripped lower, lower parts kit, and collapsible buttstock from Eaglefirearms.net, and a RRA complete midlenght A4 upper and a detatchable cary handle From Adcofirearms.com.

I think the total came out to $770 or somwhere around.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:04:01 PM EDT
Equipment Exchange is where the great deals are.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:23:53 PM EDT
+1 on the EE..

If you can build an AK, you can assemble an AR no sweat! $100 in tools and you can build the entire thing yourself.
Top Top