Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:02:56 PM EDT
Ok, as promised earlier, I fired my new AR for the first time today.
First, the parts list and a pic:
Wilson 16" SS midlength
Upper assembly from M&A Parts
YHM Quad rail
Phantom 5C2 FH
Spikes Tactical lower
RRA LPK
M4 stock w/FirstSamco saddle
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9274/dsc011644gh.jpg

I put about 200 rounds thru it today, a mix of brands and bullet weights from 55gr to 75gr.
I don't have a lot of experience with AR's-I've shot rifles belonging to a couple of friends(a Colt HBAR preban and a Bushie M4), and back in my ROTC days I fired M16A1's a couple of times, but that is about the extent of it.  With that in mind, I tried to keep my expectations down to earth.  Boy, was I in for a pleasant surprise.  My magazines haven't arrived yet, so I picked up a couple of used mags at a local gun shop just to test with.  I shouldn't have worried. 200 rounds, no malfunctions.  This is without a doubt the smoothest AR I have ever fired (granted, I haven't fired many).  It digested everything I fed it without so much as a hiccup.  Accuracy ran from pretty decent with the 55gr (Federal XM193, 5 shot groups avg. 1.5" at 100 yds), good with 62gr (Federal American Eagle AE223N and XM855, both of which shot into around 1.25"), to very good indeed with 75gr Hornady BTHP's, which averaged under 1" and gave me one unbelievable group of 4 shots into .5" with a called flyer opening things up to about 1.5"  Considering the cheesy POS scope I have on it right now, and the fact that I forgot my sandbags and was using a piece of 4x4 and a towel for a rest, I am pretty satisified with the rifle's performance.
After I got tired of punching paper, I switched to some reactive targets for a little fun, and to see how the gun handled offhand.  My wife got some trigger time on this stage, too, and after a couple of magazines engaging 12" plates at 50 - 75 yds, she didn't want to give the gun back.  When I finally got another turn, I dumped a mag as fast as I could acquire targets.  30 rounds in 10 seconds, same plates, 24 hits.  Guess I need some practice.
After this little range session, a couple of points became obvious.
First, I have got to get some better glass.  This rifle shoots way too good to suffer with that NC Star.
Second, I may have to build another rifle for the wife just so I can shoot this one.  She's already trying to claim it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, and a good range report.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
24 hits out of 30 in 10 seconds sounds pretty darn good I think!  h
Did you do a break in procedure?

I've got a Sabre 16" with mid length.  I wonder how much break in I should do?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
congrats on the 1st build, it looks great
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice job.  Looks great.  Congrats on the good range report  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, DIY builds are the best
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.
No, I didn't do any special break-in procedure, but I did refrain from using any of the Wolf ammo I have on hand for my SAR-3.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice! Good to hear you like your build! How does that saddle work for you? What is involved in installation? Any more pics of it?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried the saddle at the Orlando show last week and fell in love with it.  It provides a place for a decent cheekweld on the M4 stock.  Install is simple, just 3 screws into the sling slot.
I have a closer pic, just give me a minute to upload (dial-up sucks)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, here's the pic:
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7033/dsc011571ma.jpg

ETA:By the way, can anybody ID the VFG ? I picked it up at the same show, but it doesn't have a manufacturer's mark on it. (It does say "Design by Guarder" under the covers on the pressure switch recesses)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice very nice.  But it looks like you could slap a free-floater on that sucker, and with some good rests and practice you could be pulling .5MOA all the time.

BTW: What's the twist of the barrel?

EDIT: oh and if you drop the phantom and go with a Vortex you could be very pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a 1:8.  For me to shoot 1/2" groups consistently, it would take lots of practice more than equipment.  On a good day, with a good rest and steady nerves, I can shoot an inch pretty regularly, 3/4" on a really good day.  1/2" for me is a real treat, and doesn't happen that often, though I usually shoot rifles in the .30 cal. class.  This is the first .22 cal I've had which showed any real accuracy potential, so it will be interesting to see what it can do when I do my part.  My other .223 is a Romanian SAR3, which prints about 3" on its best day.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top