Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:06:43 AM EDT
Hello all,

I'm going to be taking off my RRA Tele stock and putting on an A1 stock. Would you be so kind as to tell me what tools I need to do this properly and possibly how to do it. I'm ordering it from Fulton and would like to order any other parts I need at the same time.

I know it's been covered before and I'm sorry. Thank you for all your responses.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:52:38 AM EDT
the only tool you need is a wrench to unscrew the castle nut and to screw the A1 buffer tube

btw, have you already read this?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:46:21 PM EDT
Thank you, no, I've never read that. I have the AGI video but it doesn't go over carbine stocks. I hear RRA uses lots of loctite on this. How do you get that off and will I need a vice block to hold the receiver still????
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:06:48 AM EDT
you usually have to apply heat to remove loctite
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:55:48 AM EDT
I'm assuming just use a torch but is there a possibility of frying the finish if you use too much heat?????
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:41:36 AM EDT
Hopefully if they did use loctite they used the blue stuff....just heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun for a little bit.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:13:11 AM EDT
Get the RRA wrench it has three teeth and you will need all the grip you can get. They are only about $6 from the vendors. Heat the nut to loosen the loctite.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:49:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JJREA:
I hear RRA uses lots of loctite on this.

I don't know if they use lots of it but they do use Loctite, #242 blue.

How do you get that off

Use heat and that RRA castle nut wrench.

and will I need a vice block to hold the receiver still????

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:58:33 PM EDT
If you have a spring loaded center punch, you will not need a wrench. Just unscrew the sharp point , set the spring for heavy and punch it against one of the indentations a couple times and it will be loose. Then I just unscrewed it with my hand then do it viseverses for reinstalling the castle nut on your A1 stock.

Works like a charm. I have done 5 or 6 this way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:47:54 PM EDT
I did a search and found this thread. I'm here at the shop, got my lower in a vice, have heated it with a torch til it was hot to the touch, used a three-pronged stock wrench, and have only managed to damage the threads on my buffer tube when the teeth lost hold of the slots on the caslte nut.

Should I keep hitting it with the torch?
Top Top