Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:34:49 AM EDT
Can anyone give me tips on drilling holes in carbon fiber?  (I know I need to wear a respirator to avoid breathing tiny pieces of it.)  

I'm planning some upgrades to my ultralight build.  I plan to replace the Cav Arms Mk. II lower with a Bushy Carbon 15 lower and telestock (same weight per Forest's weight chart), shave the FSB and lose the rear sight.  (I always use the OKO 4W anyways.)  While I'm at it, I thought I might drill holes in my one-piece carbon fiber handguard/free-float tube to shave off a little more weight and give it that cool "perforated barrel jacket" look.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
use a really high speed drill to keep the carbon from splintering and if possible start with a small bit and work your way up.

i found out the hard way

see my avatar? about 40% of the car is carbon fiber and it had to be fitted.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to inspect Carbon fiber tubes for a commercial composite company (These were not AR related tubes)

This was 10 years ago and drilling them was hard to do . I'll tell you how an engineer finally figured out how to do it .

We had drill bits made that actually ground as well as cut , and it was slow RPM speed (relative) . They didnt last too long but they were clean and acurate .

That was then , this is now . There could be much better ways now but we found abrading rather than cutting did the trick . Good Luck
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top