Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 1:42:42 PM EDT
Are these any good? You cant beat the price!

www.essentialarms.com/forged%20lower%20receiver.htm

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
good for the money
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Its not alot of money. Is there anything that say a mega lower has over it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't bought the Forged lower yet but I do have one of the Cast lowers. The only problem I had with it was the Take down pin hole was a little undersized on one side but a little hand turning of a drill bit fixed that problem.

I havn't put a lot of rounds through it yet but we bought them in a package deal for cheap and 2 of them have a pretty decent round count on them with no obvious problems.

I'm gonna be ordering a forged lower in the very near future

Jason
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I built my dad a gun on a EA lower and he likes it. It shoots well and saved him some money.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
ok well it sounds like they work. Any pros/cons?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
well I think I am going to get a J&T lower, YHM fixed rear right, and Model 1 A3 upper. Later on Ill get a clonepoint, a railed handguard, and a CAA Buttstock Saddle. Anyway the base kit with no mods will cost around $599 with no tax and I dont have to install the lower parts kit into the lower which I was fretting. I guess I wont be going with the EE lower then. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about my current build idea?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got off their site.  They have a grey finished one that closely matches the SP1 upper I just bought.  I am going to take the plunge, all they are advertising are the forged recievers so maybe the cast ones are gone?

I will post whatever I find out, for $77 for a forged reciever, I dont think you can go wrong...

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Assembling your own lower is no sweat, really.

FWIW my Mega lower is an almost perfect color match to my RRA upper.  Texture is only slightly different but the color on both is spot on.

Mega is on the top of my list for lowers.  

The Essential Arms lowers are a good price.  Does anyone know if they actually anodize their lowers or do they only finish them with their "toughcoat"?

ETA: nevermind.  I just read their flyer.  It states that they anodize then "toughcoat".
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Assembling your own lower is no sweat, really.

FWIW my Mega lower is an almost perfect color match to my RRA upper.  Texture is only slightly different but the color on both is spot on.

Mega is on the top of my list for lowers.  

The Essential Arms lowers are a good price.  Does anyone know if they actually anodize their lowers or do they only finish them with their "toughcoat"?

ETA: nevermind.  I just read their flyer.  It states that they anodize then "toughcoat".

It just seems like there are so many little parts and springs. Hell the "assembling your lower for dummies" confused me. I could get a del-ton, essential arms stripped lower, and a YHM fixed rear sight for $592 and get a J&T lower and Model 1 upper for $599 and only have to attach the upper to the lower plus have a better looking stripped lower. But I hear del-ton is a really great company while I havnt heard the same about model1 and J&T. What should I do??? Keep in mind I have only fireda couple mags through an AR. Thats about all my experience.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
#1 Do an arfcom search for Essential Arms lowers.  
There's nothing wrong with them; now or in the past either.  They are an economical, functional lower.  The finish really isn't that bad.  If you want a showpiece, go buy a Browning or go goldplate the mf'r.  
f... it's an AR for christsakes  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
#1 Do an arfcom search for Essential Arms lowers.  
There's nothing wrong with them; now or in the past either.  They are an economical, functional lower.  The finish really isn't that bad.  If you want a showpiece, go buy a Browning or go goldplate the mf'r.  
f... it's an AR for christsakes  

well I dont doubt their quality. Im almost totally sure that if I went with an AR kit I would use it. Not I am trying to decide between buying a J&T lower, Model 1 upper, YHM fixed sight for $599 or a del-top kit, an essential arms stripped lower, and YHM fixed rear sight. I am worried about assembling my own lower. I have never done it and havent seen anyone do it. Plus with the model one upper/J&T lower I get a nicer looking lower.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I would suggest assembling the lower yourself, it's not that hard and you'll learn a lot about how your rifle works.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are these any good? You cant beat the price!

www.essentialarms.com/forged%20lower%20receiver.htm

Essential Arms is back making receivers ?!?!    Awesome!

I see they haven't raised the price of their receivers by much from 10 -15 years ago.

I always regretted for $55ea. (back then) not getting 5 or 10 Essential Arms lowers, before both the '94 Federal AWBan and the Y2K Cali-Ban.

From their website ....
----

Essential Arms began production of AR-15 lower receivers, aluminum CAR stocks, and AR-15 parts in 1982 with the intent to offer America the best parts available at the best price.  

Essential Arms was the first producer of AR-15 lower receivers in aviation alloy through the investment process.  Receivers are anodized mil.spec. 8625 after machining from the finest heat treated T-6 alloy. We produced receivers bearing the Essential Arms Company name until 1994.  At that time part of our tooling was purchased by a Minnesota based firm.  From 1994 through 2002 Essential Arms did partial machining on lower receivers for other manufacturers.  During these years we continued to produce our aluminum CAR stock for retro fit on pre-ban guns and to police departments through various distributors.

We are pleased to again be able to offer our services to the shooting public.  Offered to you from thearmory in the swamp, a part guaranteed to be the finest product available at a price that is affordable.  

Beginning in November 2005 we will be producing forged lower receivers to replace our production of investment cast receivers.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would suggest assembling the lower yourself, it's not that hard and you'll learn a lot about how your rifle works.

While I do agree with you, it would be cheaper for me to buy a seperate lower and upper and put them together myself. A DPMS lower, model one upper, and YHM fixed rear sight for only $575 (without FFL, etc) where as even the cheapest stripped lower ($77), a del-ton kit ($465), and the sight ($50) would be $592. The difference is enough to buy something like a nice mag, ammo, or a buttstock saddle cheekrest AND I would have the nicer looking DPMS lower.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Del-Ton upper is MUCH nicer than M1 Sales Upper...

Unless all you want to do is save money, I'd skip Model 1 Sales entirely.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the green
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#18]
That is a good price for a forged receiver ,  i called them today to order retro CAR colt replica stock , and they said that they are almost sold out  of the stocks, and will not be makeing any more , as the "tube: portion was original Colt surplus that they bought , and are almost all gone
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I didnt think del-ton sold complete barrelled uppers. I looked on their site. Id rather not have to assemble my own upper.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didnt think del-ton sold complete barrelled uppers. I looked on their site. Id rather not have to assemble my own upper.

Actually, even the Del-Ton "kits" have the uppers assembled.

But they do sell complete uppers seperatly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Actually, even the Del-Ton "kits" have the uppers assembled.

But they do sell complete uppers seperatly.

Oh I know. I wanted to buy just the complete upper nothing else from the kit. Is that possible? Even if it it, the upper would still probably cost around $400 and then Id still have to buy a $225 lower and a sight. I guess Ill just get a kit and that essential arms lower. Any other ones an cheap?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, from Model1 a complete upper with bolt and carrier runs $385 or so.

From Del-Ton, something similiar runs $405.

Del-Ton's uppers

Another option is a complete Stag 2H upper. I think AIM Surplus has them in, they are $475 + shipping, but they come with the ARMS 40 sight, and the barrel is chrome lined.

ETA

Stag 2H Upper W/ ARMS #40
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmmm. Well its just more economical to get their kit and buy an essential arms stripped lower. Then Ill get the detachable carrying handle from that link you gave me for the sight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Guess where Vaughn (EA owner) got the idea to offer OD lowers?  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1 on whichever lower you decide on (they're all good;...).  I think building your own lower is the way to go for the above reasons.  It gets easier each time
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on whichever lower you decide on (they're all good;...).  I think building your own lower is the way to go for the above reasons.  It gets easier each time

Im sure it isnt easy. I just am afraid Ill do something wrong ad ruin it. I dont havea bunch of punches and stuff too.

of course, I could get an olympic arms plinker with a 6-positing buttstock! What exactly is the difference between the a1 rear sight and the A2? Or is there one
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Just build it!!!

After you get it done, you'll say to yourself "What was hard about that".

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Just build it!!!

After you get it done, you'll say to yourself "What was hard about that".

I will if you tell me the difference between A1 and A2 rear sights!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Nothing to building them up.  I can build up a lower in a few minute.  No biggy just try it.
Ghilly
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#30]
A1 vs A2 sights. I'll give you a basic run down,

the A1 sight is integral with the upper reciever. it has windage adjustment and a Flip aperture. a 0-300 aperture and 300-800 aperture. to adjust windage you have to have a bullet tip or other small diameter object to turn it with. Elevation is fine tuned with the front sight.  There maybe an elevation adjustment on the rear sight but I'm not sure.

The A2 is partially integral with the upper.  The sight has similar features to that of the A1 in it has a flip aperture, however it has a finger turnable windage knob and a dedicated elevation knob that is also finger adjustable.

The only tools you really need to assemble an AR lower is a screw driver Flat blade assuming u get a slotted screw for the pistol grip or a long allen wrench. I use a Brownell's magna tip screw driver set.

an 1/8th Inch dia. punch and small hammer for the Fire control group pins and the trigger gaurd pin.

A strong pair of pliars for the bolt stop pin or you can use the hammer and some tape to protect  the finish on the lower.

and a razor blade for the pivot pin detent and an extra set of hands doesn't hurt a bit for this part but it isn't required.

BTW, what part of Virginia are you in. I'f you're close to me we could meet some where and I can help you assemble it.

Jason
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A1 vs A2 sights. I'll give you a basic run down,

the A1 sight is integral with the upper reciever. it has windage adjustment and a Flip aperture. a 0-300 aperture and 300-800 aperture. to adjust windage you have to have a bullet tip or other small diameter object to turn it with. Elevation is fine tuned with the front sight.  There maybe an elevation adjustment on the rear sight but I'm not sure.

The A2 is partially integral with the upper.  The sight has similar features to that of the A1 in it has a flip aperture, however it has a finger turnable windage knob and a dedicated elevation knob that is also finger adjustable.

The only tools you really need to assemble an AR lower is a screw driver Flat blade assuming u get a slotted screw for the pistol grip or a long allen wrench. I use a Brownell's magna tip screw driver set.

an 1/8th Inch dia. punch and small hammer for the Fire control group pins and the trigger gaurd pin.

A strong pair of pliars for the bolt stop pin or you can use the hammer and some tape to protect  the finish on the lower.

and a razor blade for the pivot pin detent and an extra set of hands doesn't hurt a bit for this part but it isn't required.

BTW, what part of Virginia are you in. I'f you're close to me we could meet some where and I can help you assemble it.

Jason

Okay thanks! Seems simple enough. No huge difference.

Oh cool! I guess I could do it then. Ill probably go with whatever is cheaper though. This is just a plinking and HD rifle. It would be nice to what my rifle is like inside and out. At least have a better idea of it.

Sadly Im in stafford which is pretty up there. About an hour (depending on traffic and speed you are going of course) north of Richmond. Thanks for the offer!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Theres not that many little parts and springs. Take your time with the assembly and it's really pretty easy.

I've never dealt with Model 1 but have several times with J&T and they are great!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I built a lower before I had even shot or held a complete AR15.  It is not nearly as hard as it looks.  I actually really enjoyed doing it, I learned how everything worked before I ever even shot it.  I just followed the directions under the Build-it-yourself section.  It was a piece of cake, and now I am doing 2 more.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top