Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 2:33:03 AM EDT
Hello all,

You guys are an incredible resource to the Do-It-Yourself Junkies!

1) I am curious to know, if some or any of various AR Uppers are compatible with one another. For example, could a stripped upper for a regular 5.56 also receive the barrel and bolt/bc of a 6.5mm grendel? Or 6.8 SPC? Or are separately machined uppers required for each additional caliber? Is this a stupid question?

2) Also, where is a good place to itemize ALL of the parts necessary to complete an upper build in 6.5mm? I would like to build a 6.5mm AR capable of reaching distances (accurately reliably) upto 1000m. Not that I will be able to hit shit that far away, but to say that my rifle can would be nice.

3) One last thing, What is the optimal barrel length for distance shooting using the 6.5mm grendel. I can find tons of load data, but am looking for a performance breakdown on different barrel lenghts in order to optimize.

Thanks for the help folks!!!

hitnrun
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

1) I am curious to know, if some or any of various AR Uppers are compatible with one another. For example, could a stripped upper for a regular 5.56 also receive the barrel and bolt/bc of a 6.5mm grendel? Or 6.8 SPC? Or are separately machined uppers required for each additional caliber? Is this a stupid question?

The upper is the same, but with the ejector port slightly enlarged to allow the slightly larger Grendel Casing to be ejectd. The 6.8 uses the standard upper.

Quoted:

2) Also, where is a good place to itemize ALL of the parts necessary to complete an upper build in 6.5mm? I would like to build a 6.5mm AR capable of reaching distances (accurately reliably) upto 1000m. Not that I will be able to hit shit that far away, but to say that my rifle can would be nice.

To goto 1k on a Grendel, you will most likely need a 24" or longer barrel, the uppers are available at Competition Shooting Sports. I dont know of anyone selling just the barrel and bolt yet(Might call Saber Defense?)

Quoted:
3) One last thing, What is the optimal barrel length for distance shooting using the 6.5mm grendel. I can find tons of load data, but am looking for a performance breakdown on different barrel lenghts in order to optimize.

Not sure if there is such a thing as optimal, but I know of alot of shooters that are using the 24" - 28". Might wanna check out this board if your interested in the Grendel.

www.65grendel.com/forum/
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm gearing up for a 28" upper from competition shooting sports without the gas block.  i'll install a bolt handle on the bolt carrier and have the upper notched.  

i've done a great deal of research as i plan to shoot 1000 yards with it.  i hope to do well.  IM me with your results if you beat me to it.  i'll post my build and results when finished.

-septic tank
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool! Thanks for the info. You guys rock. I will post the updates of what I learn during the process of building my 6.5 grendel upper from parts in here.

Septic, let me know what you learn along the way that might help me if you get further ahead. It sounds like we have the same idea in mind.

Thanks all,

hitnrun
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not sure if there is such a thing as optimal, but I know of alot of shooters that are using the 24" - 28".

I'm mildly surprised nobody has played get shorty with the 6.5, that type of testing can yield interesting results.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if there is such a thing as optimal, but I know of alot of shooters that are using the 24" - 28".

I'm mildly surprised nobody has played get shorty with the 6.5, that type of testing can yield interesting results.

Your kind of taking the strength away from the Grendel then. If you want a shorty AR, go 9mm, or 6.8 SPC.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Your kind of taking the strength away from the Grendel then. If you want a shorty AR, go 9mm, or 6.8 SPC.

Why would testing different barrel lengths be taking the Grendel's strength, did you see in the link that a 23" barrel gave higher velocity than a 24" barrel with the same load in a 204 ruger.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought you were refering to a Grendel in "shorty" as in pistol type length. Which takes away the advantage in the purpose of the bullet.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top