Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:17:38 PM EDT
M16A1 upper, can't get the gas tube to budge.  Any secrets?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a pliers and see if you can break it fee.  You might smash it, which is OK, you'll just need a replacement tube.  There is also a tool/clamp thing that holds the tube firmly without smashing it.  Bushmaster sells it for about $30.  You might find it cheaper elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
To remove it, it should be slid back into the receiver to clear the front sight, correct?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas tubes are relatively inexpensive compared to $30 for a tool.  I use a piece of thin leather around the tube, then grab with pliars.  Leather grabs well and protects tube from scratches.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
To remove it, it should be slid back into the receiver to clear the front sight, correct?

Yes.

You may also wish to use a penetrating oil, such as Kroil, to help loosen any carbon buildup.  Automatic transmission fluid works good for this too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
just grap the tube gently with pliers and tap the pliers with a hammer. 95% of gas tubes need to be removed this way in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
clamp the gas tube and use a rubber hammer to move the upper w/ barrel foward. it worked for me
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Spray it with Kroil or other penetrating oil, let it soak a little.  Then clamp the gas tube in a vise, carefully not crushing the tube and tap the back of the receiver with a plastic or rubber mallet.  It'll come out everytime.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same issue recently.

Think tournequet

Grab the tube with some small vice grips.
Wrap something around the carry handle and the snugged vice grips
Twist until it slips out.

I have tried all the previous suggestion and they didnt work for me, ymmv.

eta:
gotta ask... is the pin removed?
Yes, it needs to slide into the reciever to clear the FSB.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got mine unstuck today, after soaking it in oil for more than 48h and trying every now and then.
In the end I had to use vice grips and whack them pretty seriously with a hammer so ruined the tube in the process.
Happily I had an extra tube around just in case so no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Spray it with Kroil or other penetrating oil, let it soak a little.  Then clamp the gas tube in a vise, carefully not crushing the tube and tap the back of the receiver with a plastic or rubber mallet.  It'll come out everytime.

50/50 mix of Kroil and Outer's Nitro Solvent

Hang the upper "barrel down" in a dish rack or something

Paint gas tube and barrel nut and FSB LIBERALLY with the mix

Let soak for about 10 or more hours....

Gas tube will come out VERY easily by HAND.

we should sticky this, it comes up quite often and there are many good tips
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
M16A1 upper, can't get the gas tube to budge.  Any secrets?

Drive out the roll pin that holds it there!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top