Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:49:12 PM EDT
Needed to vent. RRA prebuilt upper, heavy bbl. Torqued by an ogre at the factory.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:11:19 PM EDT
www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=154&catid=96

This trick worked for me.

One other trick we should mention is for when you are torquing on a barrel nut and everything locks up. A squeaking noise, then it's like it's welded right there. The surest way to break something is to keep trying to loosen it. This trick is so simple, we couldn't believe it. Put the whole assembly in the freezer, and leave it overnight. This gets some differential expansion working for you. Pull it out the next day, and it will almost always come loose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:14:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:18:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TRIGGERFIN:
If all else fails and/or if you've already wrecked your barrel nut you can cut off your delta ring and use a pipe wrench to loosen the nut.

The barrel nut isn't wrecked yet, but I did think of that. I hate when a nut gets the better of me.

The freezer trick seems interesting though I don't think my ar will fit! hmmm. will update you guys. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:46:45 PM EDT
Ok, she's in the Sub-zero right now.

Will update on the results.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:05:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M45:
Ok, she's in the Sub-zero right now.

Will update on the results.

I had same problem. I used a "Monkey wrench" to remove the nut... nothing else worked.
Broke some teeth on the nut, but its OK. That is a low priced spare part. Don't worry. Keep on cranking, You will succeed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:09:21 PM EDT
The freezer trick works.
I only left it in there for a hour though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:12:47 PM EDT
tag, I will be doing this soon myself..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:58:15 PM EDT
Ok, It all ended well though the freezer trick didn't pan out. I must confess, I was half-assing it because I didn't have an upper vise-block-holder-thing, so I was stepping on it with my boot and..... well you get the idea.

So I went to a friend's house today and he had the upper-holder-thing and we used an extend torque wrench to crank it off. And whammo! it came off!

Thanks for all your guys help... what I learned today is there is no subsitute for having the proper tools. (eg. vise, upper block, wrenches)

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:33:31 PM EDT

Ok, It all ended well though the freezer trick didn't pan out. I must confess, I was half-assing it because I didn't have an upper vise-block-holder-thing, so I was stepping on it with my boot and..... well you get the idea.
So I went to a friend's house today and he had the upper-holder-thing and we used an extend torque wrench to crank it off. And whammo! it came off!

Thanks for all your guys help... what I learned today is there is no subsitute for having the proper tools. (eg. vise, upper block, wrenches)

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:40:54 PM EDT
WOW ... the things that happen when the right tool is used!

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:26:20 AM EDT

I must confess, I was half-assing it because I didn't have an upper vise-block-holder-thing, so I was stepping on it with my boot and..... well you get the idea.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:16:59 AM EDT
Another example of how using the right tools for the job makes all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:18:48 AM EDT

So you are building a match gun then!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:03:19 AM EDT

I must confess, I was half-assing it because I didn't have an upper vise-block-holder-thing, so I was stepping on it with my boot and..... well you get the idea.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:33:23 AM EDT
Thanks for all your support gentlemen. lol!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:39:22 AM EDT
The freezer trick worked for me once. It won't fit in my freezer so I left it outside in my garage on a cold NY winter night.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:45:13 PM EDT
I know - I'm a little too late -

Use a air duster in a can
1) wear gloves (thick- to prevent frost burn)
2) turn can upside down
3) spray while can is upside down - liquid is EXTREMELY cold (way colder than freezer)
4) spray liquid out liberally and enough to get that differential shrinkage

DON't SMOKE - DON't use near sparks
works great for that ASAP no overnight wait

FYI: Don't know if the extreme freeze will ruin paint
Works great for overtightened wheel nutes as well.
Top Top