Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:22:16 PM EDT
I'm thinking about storing some extra gas cans in my garage in case I ever have to bug out. But that got to me wondering why is it that gasoline goes bad in the first place? And what is bad exactly? If I fill up a gas can at an American gas station, will it not ignite inside my internal combusion engine a year later if I needed it to?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:31:11 PM EDT
the lighter fractions boil off and what's left slowly becomes gel.

use sta-bil or similar. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:39:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:50:37 PM EDT
It will last longer in your fridge.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:56:45 PM EDT
Gasoline goes bad only when it is posted in the wrong forum.
Ask a Mod to send this to the SF,
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:37:34 AM EDT
Todays gas basicly sucks anymore but like said above Sta-Bil and make sure you store it in a metal container, the plastic containers bought at all the stores allow allot of the ingrediants to escape with the fumes? I know what I'm trying to say but its not comming out right. I picked up a coupla 55 gallon drums from a distributor who sold race gas which is what it comes in. Another thought also is to blend it 50/50 with AV gas as that will bring the octane up as well as it has additives to stop gelling and vapor lock, those 2 issues can be bad at 1000+ feet We have stored gas for long periods that way, although my neighbor bought a 300 gallon tank and slowly filled it he burried it down a bit and set it up right works great he also adds Sta-Bil as he fills it.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:34:03 AM EDT
Sorry, this was supposed to go in the Survival forum.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:36:47 AM EDT
Because its unemployed. It's society's fault!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:49:53 AM EDT
For long term, go diesel
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:41:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By toyotaman:
I'm thinking about storing some extra gas cans in my garage in case I ever have to bug out. But that got to me wondering why is it that gasoline goes bad in the first place? And what is bad exactly? If I fill up a gas can at an American gas station, will it not ignite inside my internal combusion engine a year later if I needed it to?

Depends on how it was stored. Ive seen gas from a pump go bad in as little as 6 months.
As for adding fuel Stabi after the gas has been sitting a long time, if it works you luckier that a virgin on a pirate ship.

IM a mod and ask them to move this if you want it moved
Top Top