Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:57:35 AM EDT
I just bought a new lightweight barreled upper to put on my Bushy lower. It's replaceing a 16" M4 profile barreled upper. My bolt and carrier group are from Bushmaster and I thought I'd read it was bad to switch bolts between two different uppers. But do I have to replace the carrier group too, or just purchase a new bolt?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:27:16 AM EDT
if you can headspace it, if it checks out fine then just use it but you usually only replace the bolt itself
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:32:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
if you can headspace it, if it checks out fine then just use it but you usually only replace the bolt itself

+1 The only thing I would replace would be the Bolt
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:14:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 5:20:19 AM EDT by shamayim]

Originally Posted By NonConformist:

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

+1 The only thing I would replace would be the Bolt

But only if the bolt has been used in a rifle that's fired thousands upon thousands of rounds.

If you're like most people, w/a couple of thousand rounds or less out of the old piece, the old bolt is almost certainly fine. The carrier will be, w/o exception.

The paranoia about this issue never ceases to amaze me.

I once purchased 5 milsurp Colt bolt assys, that were pulled from M16A1s of the Viet Nam war vintage. One of them was so old it still had the whit extractor spring insert.

EVERY ONE of those pieces headspaced OK in 5 different civie ARs. One did close on the MAX guage, but not on the FIELD guage, so it was usable. None of the others closed on even the max.

Top Top