Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:53:16 PM EDT
Hey guys i just wanted to find out if anyone makes a 16" dizzy barrel thats thin... i felt a bushmaster at a gunshow this weekend and DAMN that thing i heavy.. *heavier then my AK* and with all the weight in the barrel the ballence sucked...

i would like to build a dizzy but i dont want a heavy barrel on it..

thanks for any help

Jess
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15barrels.com  Have it your way, start with an HBAR and profile it to your liking.  Starting with an SL barrel is a problem becasue the diameter is too thin at the FSB and gas block positions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with the standard carbine?

Bushmaster makes a superlite 16"

BM superlite

And Model 1 sales makes an ER Shaw lightweight 16"

Model 1 Sales lightweight
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Speak english.

It's called a Bushmaster Dissipator barrel.
Only Bushmaster makes a Dissipator barrel.

The Bushamster Dissipator barrel is a 16 inch carbine barrel that has the actual front sight base cut down and then has a front sight base only (no gas tube) mounted where a rifle barreled AR15 would have its front sight base.

Olympic Arms makes a "Dissipator" style type barrel, and I am sure there are other companies that do too.

If you want a lightweight "Dissipator" style AR15 barrel you'll have to buy a AR15 pencil barrel, find a pencil barrel front sight post and then have someone cut the actual front sight post off and mount the forward "fake" front sight post.

The pencil barrel front sight post is smaller to fit the smaller pencil barrel diameter.

All it takes is money.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Well excuse me your excelntcy for not knowing.. i allways thought that a Dissipator was a 16 inch barrel with a 20 inch gas system... i did not realize that bushmaster used the fake gas blocks...

now i thank the gentlemen that aucually had something useful to say instead of flaming me..

if i wanted the fake gas block i would not been asking... thank you for no help.

there are sevral companies that make barrels like the one you speak of.. Oly, Model 1, and a few others.. DPMS makes one that does not use a fake gas block but it is a heavy barrel...

Agian i think you gentlemen for helping out with this.. i think i might of figured out what i'm going to be doing.

Jess
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy fucking dyslexia, batman. For the love of gods, and anyone that speaks English, beg, borrow, or steal a dictionary.

The Bushmaster Dissipator style is the most common on the market. Cutting a 20" down to 16" length is unwise, and often requires a "generous" enlargement of the gasport.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus this is why i stuck to the AK side of the board.. pricks..
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:23:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I agree some folks don't seem to add much to the conversation

Back to the topic, did you know Bushmaster makes two dissipator style barrels?

One is a heavy barrel, which you may have grabbed at the gunshow;

Bushmaster heavy "dizzy"  (he he)

The second is an M4 type dissipator which is most likely lighter;

Bushmaster M4 "dizzy"  (this is fun)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
hey man thanks alot.. i found thouse barrels and the M4 one seems about what i was looking for...

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a HBAR Bushy Diss that is nowhere near as heavy as either of my AK's. Two thoughts come to mind:

If it was a used gun, someone may have added weight to the handguards which is easily removable. These weights are for hi-power competition guns and only fit the rifle length handguards.

It could have been some kind of special order with either a cut down or re-profiled match barrel. That would have made it feel very muzzle heavy.

I used to not like the Dissy until I went mad and bought one. Now I really like it as much as my M4 profiles. And it probably outshoots my M4's.

Good luck.
Pete
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys don't want to learn about AR15's, do you.

I passed out information.

You guys can keep calling every AR15 you come across a dis, diss, dissy, dizzy or a fucking constipator, whatever floats your boat.

If you want to LEARN about the AR15 then you might want to take the time to read and comprehend what has been posted.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
DPMS makes a "Dissipator" type 16" with a full length gas system.  It is an HBAR, so it would have to be turned down to a thinner profile.  I believe Fulton-Armory was making Dissipators out of M16A1 barrels cut down and with an enlarged gas port.  The Bushmaster type with the hidden gas block and "fake" FSB seems pretty gay.  

Somebody here or on the Maryland AR15 site has a chart showing what size to enlarge the gas port to when cutting down a 20" barrel forward of the gas block.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You guys can keep calling every AR15 you come across a dis, diss, dissy, dizzy or a fucking constipator, whatever floats your boat.

If you want to LEARN about the AR15 then you might want to take the time to read and comprehend what has been posted.

Quoted:

ohh i did comprehend it.. i call the barrels 'dizzy' barrels like saying coke... there are as many names for these kind of barrels as their are brands...

the problem i did have was the presentation of the information in a holyer then tho tone... I admit that it is diffcult to tell ones tone on the internet but with the first line you typed I quite honestly was put off from that point on in your posting...

if you wish to offer advice i do indeed appresate it but don't be insulting about it...

eddiein hit the nail on the head with what i took as a trie dosso[atpr.. at the time i beleaved bushmaster did the same thing with their barrels as well.. not the fake gas block that they do indeed have..

i think everyone who contriubted to this post..

Jess
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ohh i did comprehend it.. i call the barrels 'dizzy' barrels like saying coke... there are as many names for these kind of barrels as their are brands...

the problem i did have was the presentation of the information in a holyer then tho tone... I admit that it is diffcult to tell ones tone on the internet but with the first line you typed I quite honestly was put off from that point on in your posting...

if you wish to offer advice i do indeed appresate it but don't be insulting about it...

eddiein hit the nail on the head with what i took as a trie dosso[atpr.. at the time i beleaved bushmaster did the same thing with their barrels as well.. not the fake gas block that they do indeed have..

i think everyone who contriubted to this post..

Jess

Lord, just learn to spell.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
So set me straight , In some posts I read a 16 In. with a rifle lenght gas system is the way to go. In other threads I read this is not desired. so which is it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So set me straight , In some posts I read a 16 In. with a rifle lenght gas system is the way to go. In other threads I read this is not desired. so which is it?

Both gas systems work.  The only drawback to the full length system is getting it to cycle all types of ammo.  Wolf seems to be the most difficult.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Red bit will need the gas port made bigger to let more gas down the tube to build up sufficent pressure to cycle the gun.

This is because the time from when the bullet passes the gas port to when it clears the muzzle (dwell time) is much less than in a more classic ar-15 setup. (Which has 5 or 6 inches of barrel from the gas port to the muzzle)

The blue bit is because the dissy is not how God and Stoner intended and one might have to fiddle with the setup of their AR to make it work reliably in non God approved ways.    
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yo! Don't be dis n' my dizzy, or I may have to pull my constipator out on yo ass

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]

[Yo! Don't be dis n' my dizzy, or I may have to pull my constipator out on yo ass hr
Here
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bacon51/Bushmaster/Bushie03.jpg

I bought one when they first came out 12 years ago. Like this setup so much that I bought a second one. Unless you are going to shoot in full-auto, this arrangement works great.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's an AR15, you want what you want.  

I am not aware of anyone making a 16 inch barrel with a rifle length gas system.
From what I have learned on AR15.com that's not a very good combo.

That leaves you with either a midlength or a carbine barrel.
These refer to the length of the gas system.

The "hot" set-up right now is to have a 16 inch midlength barrel.

There is another option, it is called the Bushmaster Dissipator.
This is a 16 inch barrel with a carbine barrel gas system.
The front sight tower of the carbine gas system is cut off, and another front sight tower is installed at the rifle length FRONT SIGHT position.
It DOES NOT function as a rifle length gas system.

This post explains the midlength barrel a little better.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=274688
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is a 16" barrel with a full length gas system
DPMS 16"

i would hope that they had allready opened up the gas port...

at this point i'm just going to go with one that has the CAR legth gas system..

whats the advantages of using a midlength over a CAR system? i heard that there was a bit of recoil reduction in the full legnth ones..

Jess
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#21]
CMMG makes a 16" barrel with a rifle length system..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys for the info!

To the bitches - that's what you do with correct information, you thank the person who passed it along and learn, not call them names and act like shitstains.

Quoted:
CMMG makes a 16" barrel with a rifle length system..

Quoted:
Here is a 16" barrel with a full length gas system
(DPMS / DelTon)
Jess

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top