Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 8:03:41 AM EDT
Hi all,
 I'd like your opinions on the 16" Dissipator A2 complete parts kit from Model "1" Sales. I'm looking to put this on my KT-15-B lower and this is my first AR build.
 Any opinions on Model "1" Sales would be welcome, too.
 Is there anyplace else that I could find this particular set-up?
Thanks in advance,
dave
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
i have personaly put 3 of there kits together with out any major problems. and have helped a couple others with there builds.  the main problem we had was the hole in the bolt catch was to small for the pin, a quick pass with a drill bit cleared up that problem.  but if your using a lower thats already put together you wont have to worry bout that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have bought a lot of parts and several kits from Model 1, Never had a issue.  Mostly ordered from them because of the price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Same here I have put some of these kits together without any problems for some people.'

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
model 1 sales rocks, usually have the best price around
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Their stuff ain't the prettiest but I did a couple of builds with their kits and the work as well as the Coolaid I am packing overseas.  Blasphemy I know, but oh well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
im thinking about ordering a kit from them tomorrow actually (first one)
just got me a DPMS lower, heres some candy but its not much
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/161823/lower.jpg
this thread helps me also
thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Their stuff ain't the prettiest but I did a couple of builds with their kits and the work as well as the Coolaid I am packing overseas.  Blasphemy I know, but oh well.

I just saw an AR at the range that I just had to ask about.
The owner said he had put it together and the upper was a Model1.
The FSB had virtually no smoothing out of the 'flash' on the inner seam.
Didn't look like it had even been filed prior to parkerizing, the edge was
all jagged and uneven.  Yeah, doesn't affect function but as they say "the devil
is in the details" and who knows where else they took a shortcut.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Leaving the rough cast line is not taking short cuts. It's a decision not to take extra machining steps, (not necessary to the function), thereby keeping the cost lower than the competitors. I've built quite a few Model 1 Sales guns with zero issues.

Ever stick your fingers inside a Bushmaster carry handle. Can't do it without drawing blood. The cast line is not machined down on BM carry handles yet they are second in price to Colt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've built one rifle from a Model 1 kit and used one of their LPK for another build. LPK parts seem to vary. The rifle is not the best in fit and finish but shoots very well. It is what it is. I was not happy with customer service on my last order, and will not order from them again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies.

Garandboy,
 What problems did you have with them? I like to know what I'm in for before I jump.
Thanks,
dave
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]
i have the same kit you're talking about and the only problem i have is the carrier key has come loose and needs restaking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I have ordered from Model 1 Sales a number of times.  Great customer service and good prices.  They ship fast too.  My next kit will be coming from them as well.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I really hope that M1S has improved quality with its move to Texas.  I bought mine when before the move.  Not too long ago, I noted that another AR15.com member was selling a M1S barrel with excessive windage problems too.

At KCR, I will look at their goods and see if I can see a difference from my kit.  If they look good, and if I can find nothing wrong, I just my purchase a kit for my son.

THIRD Model 1 Sales' Dissy Upper Blows Chunks!!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered from Model 1 Sales this month. I got my kit in about 9 days from my order date. The kit went together fine on my Rock River receiver. It shoots into tiny little groups and functions better than my old Colt did with crappy ammo. It even puts Wolf into about 3" or less at 100yds.
Some of the parts looked a bit rough compared to my old AR, but function is fine. The trigger is a bit heavy,but I'm working on that.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Poodleshooter, what kit did you get?

I've read more and more positive reviews about M1S.  I'll see first hand at Knob Creek.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.

Garandboy,
 What problems did you have with them? I like to know what I'm in for before I jump.
Thanks,
dave

I ordered a Dissy kit and two stocks (YHM and Ace) from them on a Monday morning.  I told them I needed it before the weekend. They assured me there would be no problem. I paid an additional 25. in priority shipping and gave them my work number in case there was a problem. The package did not arrive on Saturday. Called them the following Monday and asked why and was told that they didn't have a barrel, so held the package. I asked why I didn't get a phone call, as I told the person who took the order How that I needed it quickly . . . silence, no answer. I was polite and asked if my card had been charged, and was told no, asked him to cancel the order. Person on the phone said "Okay fine" and hung up. WTF? No sorry, nothing. Just a hang up.

I ordered a Dissy upper from Bushmaster that afternoon. Fluted, had them knock off the FSB install a vented full floating vented handgaurd (from Predator and Varminter rifles) three rail 1913 gas block and Izzy Brake. Custom built and I had it by Friday morning without paying more for shipping. Yes I did pay more, but for a better upper with more features and MUCH better customer service.

Like I said my XM177 from Model 1 shoots fine, so no flaming required. Just think you should know about the weak customer service.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no complaints. I ordered an M4 kit along with a bushmaster stripped lower, the finish is pretty much indistinguishable between the two. If I had to complain, it would be they didn't tell me I would need a taller front sight post ideally since I ordered the A3 carrying handle with the kit, but I doubt any other company would've caught that either.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, it seems like model 1 got their s*** together. A little while ago on arfcom all you would hear is how bad model 1 was. When I bought one of their kits last year, I guess they forgot to tell me that the gas port was optional . I sent it back to M1 and they fixed and sent it back quickley. Now it shoots like a dream with crappy ammo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
i just decided to order my kit this morning
the lady said it would be here by the middle of next week
woo hoo my first build!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a fan of M1S.

The picture below shows my Green Furniture Dissy kit I got from M1S that I put on a MEGA lower.

The top one has a M1S upper (modified a bit).

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have heard that M1S parts are at least partly, made in Mexico.

It would be nice if someone could get confirmation of that... but what I was told was the paper wrapping the bolt was stamped "Made In Mexico".

Having said that, I have bought from M1S and will do so again.  Never had any problems.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.  With Model 1 Sales, you aren't paying very much.

Food for thought.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Their parts are all American.. says so on the website.

Ordering a 7.62x39 16" barrel and 7.62 bolt assembly from them tomorow.. we'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Their parts are all American.. says so on the website.

Ok... I'll belive my source, however.

Not to say that hencho en mexico is at all a bad thing... I mean, that's how I like my wiminz ...

But I digress.  Good luck with your project.  Again, I have and will order from them again.  Just don't expect top shelf parts when you are paying a McDonald's price.

Except for their barrels... they sell GOOD barrels.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've read more and more positive reviews about M1S.  I'll see first hand at Knob Creek.

I got their Varmint A3 with a stainless 1x9 bull barrel.
I have another hammer and extra trigger and hammer springs on order so I can play around with the trigger group.
The upper components are really quite nice,with good staking on the carrier key,and a decent chroming job on the inside of the bolt carrier. Only the trigger group parts look a little rough. The buttstock parts are fine. I actually had more trouble with excess flashing in the RR receiver. The hole for the selector detent and spring was pretty rough. I had to ream it with a 1/8" drill bit before the detent would fit.
I think if I were to do it again, I would opt for a M1Sales upper and B/BC and get a completed RR lower or at least a receiver with RR NM trigger group.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got their Varmint A3 with a stainless 1x9 bull barrel.
I have another hammer and extra trigger and hammer springs on order so I can play around with the trigger group.
The upper components are really quite nice,with good staking on the carrier key,and a decent chroming job on the inside of the bolt carrier. Only the trigger group parts look a little rough. The buttstock parts are fine. I actually had more trouble with excess flashing in the RR receiver. The hole for the selector detent and spring was pretty rough. I had to ream it with a 1/8" drill bit before the detent would fit.
I think if I were to do it again, I would opt for a M1Sales upper and B/BC and get a completed RR lower or at least a receiver with RR NM trigger group.

awesome, be sure to post pics when your finished!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I've built 6 or 7 M1S builds.  No major problems.  I had to reinstall a gas block, and mess around with a bolt carrier key, but other than that they were cheap and shipped really quickly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#27]
i got the dissy kit from them, its an awesome rifle, no problums, nice finish
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

awesome, be sure to post pics when your finished!

Here it is after its first dusty range session.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top