Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2006 5:18:51 PM EDT
I've been reading and learning from you all, but I can't find a good discussion about the qualities of the different manufacturers of Free Float forearms.

Can anyone give me a good schooling in the cost to weight to benefits of various manufacturers and their products?

I've been specifically looking at the Midwest Industries MCTAR-20X and the Troy MRF-CX.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright the Troy will be a bit better quality and maybe a smidgen lighter

But for that 2-3oz difference and MAYBE some better manufacturing you end up paying nearly 150 bucks more.  For most practical applkications the MI will serve you just fine.  I have one and the 2-peice design is wonderful as all you do is cut off the delta ring and installation is a breeze.  I'd choose MI over Troy in your case.  However for a varminting rifle i'd go with Yankee Hill's customizable forearm.  And unless you are into the precision shooting scene or have a really long barrel, a free float won't make that much difference.

Anyway, I vote MI, they make great products and you can't lose with them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!

Is there a listing of the weights of the various forearms?

Is there another manufacturer that gives a better yield?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
as far as the MI FF...Do you still need to keep the Front plate behind the FSB?

Or will it work W/o the plate?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top