Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
I have a RRA 16'' r4 barrell mounted in a colt upper. It has a new RRA bolt assembly in it also. I am wanting to take the barrel off and remove the bolt, then install it into a new RRA flat top upper. I got this colt this way but now I want to put the colt back original and assemble a RRA. I will purchase the new upper, delta ring assembly and charging handle. FYI a friend assembled it and I bought the gun to help him out. It is in excellant condition. I am new at this build it yourself thing but I have done some reading, here mostly,(which probably just makes me more dangerous).

Question? Can I just dissassemble the parts and reassemble them the way I want them without checking headspace. I am getting different answers and do not know what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:15:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:16:30 PM EDT
Headspace (HS) is the relationship between a given barrel (chamber datum point) and a given boltface. If the HS is good with your current configuration on the Colt upper receiver then you should be OK with changing the barrel and the bolt assembly to a new upper. For peace of mind I always recommend checking HS for safety reasons. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:59:26 PM EDT
Thanks, do you know where i can purchase headspace guages? and are they easy to use?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:03:06 PM EDT
Bushmaster has them in their catalog and on the website.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:05:12 PM EDT
You can purchase the HS gauges from Brownells.com. You need a GO and a NOGO. Some people, not I, also believe you need a FIELD. Other people believe you need only a FIELD.

It probably would be cheaper to find a gunsmith/armorer to check the HS for you. Screen the gunsmith/armorer with the question 'do you work on AR's?'. If negative response keep looking.

I could do it for you but you would have to pay round trip shipping. I would do it for no fee as it really only takes me a few minutes.

Good luck. Charles.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
Thanks for the offer. I will try and find one here in georgia but if i can't i may take you up on it.

Thanks
Top Top