Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:13:00 AM EDT
I have been offered a 20" Colt M-16A1 barrel , that is in real good shape , - except it has a "ring" in the bore approx. 3" from the muzzle , i am building a 10" XM177E1 shorty , and would like to know if it would be possible to have this 20"-"ringed" barrel shortened down for use in my shorty ?

ps the barrel is chrome lined , and only 35.00
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:32:21 PM EDT
I see no reason why you couldn't have it shortened, as long as the bad section gets cut off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
If I were you I would have the chamber checked for throat erosion. Also I would check the headspace before proceeding with this project. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:41:54 PM EDT
Yes this is a good idea , as i assume that the gun had a "squib" stuck in the barrel , and then another live round was fired behind it , on inspecting it , the rifleing appears just as sharp and crisp in the throat -(breach) -as a new barrel that i have , but better safe than sorry

My concern is that will the diamater of the barrel be large enough for the a new shoulder to be turned on a lathe , and for the front sight base to fit -- cutting the barrel - to a 10" CAR length ??
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:36:49 PM EDT
The OD at the place where the FSB is mounted has to be at least 0.625 inches for the old hard to find FSB. The OD has to be at least 0.750 inches for the newer FSB. I would also check these diameter(s) to make sure your project is feasible. Charles.
Top Top