Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 11:03:49 PM EDT
How hard and what is the chance of messing with alumi under anodizing...what are th risks.....I have a factory FN T numbered upper that is just perfect just no M4 cuts and I have a Colt Socom that needs a home........will I trash the metal and chance ruining the upper if i use a file to cut Feed rams into the upper...250 is a lot to spend on a Colt M4 upper...CMT M4 could work but FN or Colt is better for resale......yeah i know thats is shallow...anyway
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
no not a must need just that the barrel is m4 cut and he upper is not....i could live a very happy and fullfiling life without he cuts but if i can without jacking the upper then that is an option..if not i can learn to live and deal with the barrel and upper are virgin and not had any rounds at all....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#3]
How talented a metal worker are you?

Things can get sideways real quick working on tight areas.

*If* it were me doing it, and absolutely *had* to do it myself.....

I would place witness marks at the apex of the extended cutouts at the barrel extension on the upper. and remove the barrel.

I would then use a very fine rat-tail file and filing from the barrel extension, file towards the mag-well in very short, light strokes. Aluminum is pretty soft and should not take too long using this method. Finish with very fine grit sandpaper.

Yes, you could use a dremel, but it could get away from you very easy and just absolutely wreak havoc.

Again this is what *I* would do. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The upper will function fine with ramps in the barrel and not the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I am pretty good with a file and the extra effort to keep it in line.. i have a bit of pratice at working these files..my big concern is the file through the anodizing..will it harn the alm and start to make it weak or will it stop there...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am pretty good with a file and the extra effort to keep it in line.. i have a bit of pratice at working these files..my big concern is the file through the anodizing..will it harn the alm and start to make it weak or will it stop there...

Well you will file below the anodizing.
if you dont your not coming close to M4 feedramps

but as others have said its totaly not needed.

But if it bugs you that much, buy a New CMMG upper receivers or a CMT.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#7]

If your rifle functions fine without it... why bother

~nb
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
not needed
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#10]
...And the award for Best Spin on WECSOG Dremeled Feedramps goes to... our very own Pete In Sales.

Asked:

Do the RRA Uppers have the M4 feed ramps?

He made lemonaid out of lemons:

They have hand installed ramps done at time of assembly Much like you would pay a custom Gumsmith to ramp a 45 Pistol . They are same ramps that because of how relieable they are help win the FBI and DEA Contact

Its a Custom touch that you do not get with Other brands.

Pete

"Its a Custom touch that you do not get with Other brands."  Now if that's not a good sig-line I don't know what is.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
buy the appropiate upper reciever for your bbl. and either save or sell the rifle one you have now.

cmt makes one hell of a nice m4 ramped upper reciever in which you can purchase from dennysguns or gandrtactical.com
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
buy the appropiate upper reciever for your bbl. and either save or sell the rifle one you have now.

cmt makes one hell of a nice m4 ramped upper reciever in which you can purchase from dennysguns or gandrtactical.com

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The upper will function fine with ramps in the barrel and not the upper receiver.

Here is your answer!!

Bear in mind it does not work the other way though!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top