Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:22:42 PM EDT
The only AR I own has a shell deflector, I want one without. What do the spent shells do without it, rip out your eyeballs?  Just curious. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing, if you are right handed.  The issue of switching shoulders to shoot around barricades comes up often, but I have been taught many times not to do that.  The deflector is mainly for the wrong handed among us (1/6 shooters).
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a left and let me tell ya, I'd never shoot an AR with out one
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm a left and let me tell ya, I'd never shoot an AR with out one

And I'm left handed, and rarely shoot one with a deflector

Three of my five ARs are early clones of Viet Nam era pieces; M16. M16A1, and XM177E2; and they all have the appropriate type uppers.  The only one of them that even comes close to putting empties near me is the XM177 clone, which bounces many off the right ear muff, but only when I'm shooting from a bench---and I expect that to lessen or cease now that I've put a heavy 9mm buffer into it.

The trick is to install Wolff HD extractor springs and stiffer black inserts into the things.  Changes the ejection angle to nearly straight out, instead of to the rear. On the later types w/the hump, the empties barely touch the most outer tip of the hump; which keeps them from getting gouged up. The very slight brass stain at the outer edge of the hump wipes right off w/a damp patch.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top