Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:58:11 AM EDT
First of all, thanks for taking the time to look in here.

I am getting ready to do some Norrell coating and I want to start out with my Ruger MarkII that has been a favorite since college. I am wondering if a smooth blued firearm needs/should be bead blasted prior to applying the coating?

Also, I have had the Mark II threaded for use with a supressor and would like to know if applying the coatings to the threads will inhibit the use of the can. How well will the finish wear after threading and unthreading the supressor and thread protectors?

Thanks again,
Nox
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, Duracoat will NOT adhere well to polished steel, the steel really need to be porious so it has something to grabb on to--it will look good to start, but thats it. I duracoated a S&W auto once, top of the slide and bottomside/front of the gripstrap were all lightly sandblasted(matte) while all other surfaces where polished. The porious matte areas held up forever--never showing wear until I sold it, while the polished area chipped easily with normal use.
I would tape off the threads, because repeated on/off could potentially start chipping/peeling into the non-threaded area.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Would sandpaper do the trick if it was sanded fairly evenly?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Would sandpaper do the trick if it was sanded fairly evenly?

I suppose technically speaking it would--you would be breaking up the polished surface, creating a porious condition like sandblasting. But why not call around to a few machine shops and see if anyone would be willing to do a quick blast in their cabinet of a few small parts---then break it down and have them do it--a couple of minutes is all it would take, probably while you waite.
Any of these "finishes" apply with VERY THIN coats, so to adequitely cover up what you are asking (and look good) may take several coats--which isn't necessarily a good thing.
my 2 cents
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys for the input. Now I need to figure out what I'm goinig to to do for the rear sight and the detail work on it. I'd like to give it a coat, but am concerned about coating it stuck.

Nox
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top