Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/10/2006 5:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 5:59:29 AM EDT by OzarkJD]
I've been looking around on here for quite some time now and finally registered. Seems that this is THE place for any info that I'll need.

I'll cut to the meat and potatoes!

I want to build a GOOD QUALITY AR/M4. I have always been one to pay a few more dollars for better things, and I'd like to carry that over to this AR build.

I'm a bit lost on all of the SMALL parts needed for this build.

I have decided on the following parts so far:

MEGA lower with the M4 Socom buttstock (pre-assembled) from Carrico Armory.
MEGA upper A3 flat-top with markings from Carrico Armory.
Les Baer National Match bolt carrier

I have now hit a "wall" because I don't know exactly what other parts that I need to complete the upper receiver. Do I buy a bolt and then have to buy all of the parts FOR the bolt, or is there a pre-assembled option?

What about the parts needed for the gas system? Do I need to find a "gas block" of some sort? Will I need to purchase some rings separately from other parts?

As you can see, I really am pretty ignorant as to just what parts I need. After I round up all the parts, I'll have no problem with the actual assembly.

It would be nice to have a good list of parts, assemblys, and sub-assemblys in front of me for this. Is this available anywhere online? Parts diagrams?

Thanks in advance!
JD
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 7:59:37 AM EDT by eye_spy]

Originally Posted By OzarkJD:

I have now hit a "wall" because I don't know exactly what other parts that I need to complete the upper receiver. Do I buy a bolt and then have to buy all of the parts FOR the bolt, or is there a pre-assembled option?

You can choose to buy the bolt and bolt carrier separately OR you can choose to buy a full functioning bolt and carrier. Check out the different AR Manufacturers for your choices in the INDUSTRY FORUM.

What about the parts needed for the gas system? Do I need to find a "gas block" of some sort?

That will depend if the barrel you chose to get will come with or without an FSB or gas block.

Will I need to purchase some rings separately from other parts?

Yes. Front cap. Delta ring. Springs. Gas tube. Pins. etc..

As you can see, I really am pretty ignorant as to just what parts I need. After I round up all the parts, I'll have no problem with the actual assembly.

It would be nice to have a good list of parts, assemblys, and sub-assemblys in front of me for this. Is this available anywhere online? Parts diagrams?

Check out FALARAK's thread AR-15 • Build It Yourself • Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! . It will show you WHAT YOU NEED and how to assemble it.

Thanks in advance!
JD

ETA: BTW, welcome to the board!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:33:41 AM EDT
Well now... I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing that thread at the very top of the forums. Looks like some great info, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:21:16 AM EDT
Most parts are available in kit form: Lower parts kit or fire control parts kit, barrel parts kit, etc. You could buy each part piecemeal, but that's how you'll overlook a key part needed for the build.

If you buy a complete barrel, it'll come with everything including the flash hider, front sight base, gas tube, roll pin, barrel nut and a complete, asembled delta ring, usually installed. All you'd need to do is install the barrel on the upper.

Some key words to look for while shopping: "Kit" will usually denote a complete set of parts for a specific area of the gun (lower, bolt, buttstock, etc), but they will be just the unassembled parts and you will have to install them. "Assmebly" will include all those parts, but they will be installed (a "bolt carrier assembly" will have the carrier key installed and staked rather than a "stripped" bolt carrier or "bolt carrier kit")

Have fun. It's really pretty easy, more intimidating to think about it than to actually do it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:24:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 11:25:29 AM EDT by cruizer]

Originally Posted By OzarkJD:
I've been looking around on here for quite some time now and finally registered. Seems that this is THE place for any info that I'll need.

I'll cut to the meat and potatoes!

I want to build a GOOD QUALITY AR/M4. I have always been one to pay a few more dollars for better things, and I'd like to carry that over to this AR build.

I have decided on the following parts so far:

MEGA lower with the M4 Socom buttstock (pre-assembled) from Carrico Armory.
MEGA upper A3 flat-top with markings from Carrico Armory.
Les Baer National Match bolt carrier

What about the parts needed for the gas system? Do I need to find a "gas block" of some sort? Will I need to purchase some rings separately from other parts?

Thanks in advance!
JD

Shoot me a IM. I have two complete AR's that I would be interested to sell. They are priced the same or less than you can put one together for. One is on a Bushmaster lower with black furniture and one is on a Oly lower with OD furniture. Both aer 20" A2 models. Both have Colt barrrels on them.

Thanks
cruizer
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:45:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cruizer:

Shoot me a IM. I have two complete AR's that I would be interested to sell. They are priced the same or less than you can put one together for. One is on a Bushmaster lower with black furniture and one is on a Oly lower with OD furniture. Both aer 20" A2 models. Both have Colt barrrels on them.

Thanks
cruizer

Thanks, but price is not the issue here. I want to the choose parts and build it myself. 16" flat top M4 specifically...

Thanks for the offer, though.
Top Top