Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:52:35 AM EDT
First of all I would like to say that this is a great site.  It is very informative and everyone seems helpful and friendly.
Now onto my question:
I've been poking around, but haven't seen any posts regarding this (some one please tell me if I am in left field over here).  Are there any cons to putting a telescoping stock kit onto a rifle with a 20 in barrel?  Does barrel length have anything to do with the buffer and spring?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing......
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people think it looks funny since a telescoping stock is usally used for a carbine type weapon. But other than that your good to go.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
You can place a collapsable stock on a 20" rifle.  I am yet to fire one in this config however I suspect it may kick more than with the standard stock being that you will have to use a carbine buffer.  

Here is recent post showing one setup like you are thinking about:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=267979

Hope this helps.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Here try these old threads:

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=255525

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=259492

May be of some help,

Mike

ETA -

Does barrel length have anything to do with the buffer and spring?

No.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen 20" rifles with telescoping stocks. I think there was even a picture thread for them a while back.

The buffer and spring are not related to the barrel length, they are related to the buffer tube.

Edit: Mr. Wilson beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for the quick response!  I also looked a little more through build pics thread and found a couple pics resembling what I'd like to do.  Now all I need is to get a little scratch together!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The standard issue M16 (C7) for the Canadian Army uses a 20" upper with a telestock.  Does look funny, but you can't argue with that.  Look at any pics of Canadians in Afghanistan, there you go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Most tele-stocks you will see here on 20" AR is the LMT SOPMOD stock.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My issue rifle is a 20" and since we wear big huge bulky life jackets on top of our Body Armor at work, collapsible stocks have become popular. They are also very popular with the smaller statured Rangers. All our full time boating officers have collapsible stocks.

They do make the gun feel more muzzle heavy when you are used to a 16" but they work just fine!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
16" 18" 20" - doesn't matter...  the telestock is more for adjustment to heavy clothing, etc.  anyone using a 24" would likely not use or need one, simply since they are likely used for prone, varmint, or bag shooting.

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
A 20" rifle with a government profile barrel and telestock is actually pretty nice.

It's light and handles well.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First of all I would like to say that this is a great site.  It is very informative and everyone seems helpful and friendly.
Now onto my question:
I've been poking around, but haven't seen any posts regarding this (some one please tell me if I am in left field over here).  Are there any cons to putting a telescoping stock kit onto a rifle with a 20 in barrel?  Does barrel length have anything to do with the buffer and spring?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Yep

Can-do

Canadian military has been doing it for a while now, IIRC...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top