Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:29 AM EDT
Here goes....I'm still pluggin away on building my first ar and I just recieved and installed the buffer.  The question is that when you shake the buffer there is a weight or something inside moving back and forth....is this normal?  Second question is about uppers.  I want an a1 upper with the brass deflector and forward assist with a standard 20" barrel and triangle hanquards, does anyone sell this combo already assembled and headspaced?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Buffer internal movement is completely normal.

CDNN sells SP1 uppers in config your looking for as well as others. There's an Industry forum if your unfamilar with those companies that deal in AR15s and the EE for WTB or looking.

Watch out for the "large" Colt pivot pin issues, which may interfer with mating to a small pivot pin lower and good luck. (note: ya can buy aftermarket pins to aleviate this issue)

Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The weight moving around is normal.

As far as the upper goes fulton armory make a new upper that will work or else you can try the equipment exchange section of this web site, or just buy your upper and purchase the hand guards for $20.00

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
alright.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The weight moving around is normal.

As far as the upper goes fulton armory make a new upper that will work or else you can try the equipment exchange section of this web site, or just buy your upper and purchase the hand guards for $20.00

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/muskyjerk/LegacyUpper-450_50.jpg

I must interject here:

Noise from the buffer os OK, but if the buffer slides back and forth AT ALL, something is wrong, either the wrong buffer spring or wrong buffer unit itself. The buffer should be held under some mild tension against the buffer stop pin. That is what the pin is FOR.

When you pull the charging handle all the way back and relase it all at once, does the bolt slam home with some authority? If so, then all is well....

efxguy
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buffer internal movement is completely normal.

CDNN sells SP1 uppers in config your looking for as well as others. There's an Industry forum if your unfamilar with those companies that deal in AR15s and the EE for WTB or looking.

Watch out for the "large" Colt pivot pin issues, which may interfer with mating to a small pivot pin lower and good luck. (note: ya can buy aftermarket pins to aleviate this issue)

Mike

CDNN is selling 6320 uppers???  I thought those were M16A1, not the Canadian C7.  By his post, it appears that Reponator is looking for a 6320/C7 syle upper with a small front hole by the sound of it.  Just like these ( except in the top pic, in the top pic I mean the lower, unfinished Pony build...not the old school large hole, slabbed Pony on the top ):

or

Since I couldn't find true, NEW Colt or Diemaco C7s I had to order these from Fulton Armory.  These are NOT G.I. spec as they are advertised to be, the charging handle tracks are WAYYYYY to shallow and will NOT take G.I. charging handles.  You have to use under spec. handles.  I ordered the charging handles and receivers matched from Fulton.  To be VERY fair to Fulton, their VENDOR is the one turning these out wrong and Fulton is just lately becoming aware of it from guys like me and a few others who are Colt/ U.S.G.I. Kool Aid drinkers.  I suggest trying another company's C7 ( also know as the A1E3 ) uppers.....but your guess is as good as mine as to whose upper to use.

I really need to take some more pictures....these are gettin' old.....QUICK!!!!

ETA: by the way, despite the look in the photos, these uppers match GREAT with the Colt lowers and in ALL other aspects they are SUPERB.  Fit and finish are absolutely superior and with the matching charging handles these guns run like butter.  The rest of the assembly was perfect and only the charging handles were and issue.  Fulton helped me on this by swapping my first two uppers with two new ones and they matched up some nice fitting charging handles for me.  I didn't have time to shop around, so I had Fulton square me away the best they could and they did a damn good job.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
efxguy...no the buffer does not move when installed.  the spring holds it under pressure.  It was the movement inside the buffer itself I was asking about.  Thanks for clearing it up though.

Desertmoon..... Yes you are right that is what I'm looking for.  I was leaning toward getting a delton upper with the a1 upper.  The only thing that will not be the way I want is the triangle handguards, which I can add later.  I saw the uppers on fulton and was considering buying theirs and building my upper myself, kinda glad I decided against it now considering your comments.  Not that it is a big issue, but sounds like a pain with that charging handle.  Thanks for the replies and insight guys.

That second pic is exactly what I want my finished build to be..... great rifles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]
 The one thing that has saddened me about the whole issue is that it seems NO ONE is CURRENTLY making a C7 style upper that you can have 100 pecent confidence in.  Seems that in one way or another the C7 upper has a "spec" curse on it. However, if you call Fulton and talk to Tim or if you write Clint, Walt or Tim at Fulton you can arrange to send a of G.I. or Colt charging handle to them and they will try to find an upper that fits it for you. Fulton Armory really goes out of their way to help folks.

I am currently thinking of buying a Bushmaster C7 style upper and trying that just for fun...I finally decided to build a bench in my spare room to build ARs on because I am tired of running from shop to shop and imposing on my friends, so that comes first.

One great thing about the A1 build I just did is that I am using a vintage 1/12 barrel from the mid seventies ( or maybe even earlier ) and it shoots 55 grain like nobody's business.  I really love that gun!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I should be going with the del ton upper in a couple weeks when the government gives me back my money (taxes).  I'll let you know what I think of it.  I qualified with an ancient m-16 in the af that was slick side and although I'm right handed, I always shoot rifles and shotguns left handed...dominant eye or whatever.  Anyway I wanted the simple sights with the deflector for that reason....hot cases on the arm can be a pain.  I didn't really like those clip on deflectors either.  I'll post pics when the rifle is finally done.  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top