Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 3:36:27 PM EDT
I was told today by an ar15 smith that a heavy varmint barrel will crack the upper receiver.,Also that I will not get 100% bolt lockup with the barrel, (because of barrel/receiver bend?   Is this BS or something I should keep an eye open for ?

Any information would be appreciated,
MickeyJr.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard that one. I've seen varmint bbls as long as 24", never once heard of the barrel "cracking" the upper. The bolt lockup is also something I have never even heard a rumor of, let alone an actual case!

Additionally, I have no idea what the f**k he means by "barrel/receiver" bend. This guy is an AR 'smith?? Are you kidding me?

I call on this one. Huge.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 heavy bbl ARs and shoot the hell out of them. Not the slightest problem with any of them and they are all different calibers and different lengths.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys I appreciated your information/wisdom.
It didnt sound right to me either.

Thanks Again,
MickeyJr.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought they didn't allow you to own guns in canada?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
this only applies to the older rubber upper recievers...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would watch the information given out by that person.

too bad i didn't have an ass hat to give to this apparent ass clown...  

the only thing i can guess from this is maybe he's mistaking the heavy M4A1 problems with upper receiver issues as a result of over loading the upper with weighted bolt-ons...  

as for a heavy barrel - you'll be finer than frog hair...

septic tank

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard of problems with Ruger 10/22's supporting heavy target barrels, but not AR's.  Maybe he has his guns mixed up.  Either way not someone I would trust to work on my weapons.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Maybe he has his guns mixed up. Either way not someone I would trust to work on my weapons.

I agree..... Us NRA High Power match shooters that shoot spaceguns shoot a 26" heavy barrel!! and there are NO reports of any troubles.. if there were.. you wouldn't see anyone using them for fear of a upper cracking during a match.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
i have a 50 BMG upper, and have no problems..
check out the recoil video..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZKSF3kRZQ

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, theoretically if you grab the upper reciever and only support the rifle by this part, there will be some bending with a heavy barrel. And if the barrel was heavy enough, it could, in theory, cause the upper to break if it isn't strong enough to support the weight of the barrel.

In reality, I think that if you used a barrel heavy enough to do this you would have other problems to worry about. In fact, I'm not sure you could afford to buy a barrel that would be big enough to do it.

How about some of you engineers do the math and let us know how heavy the barrel would have to be?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is an Ass hat for that Ass Clown !

Invisiblesoul
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top