Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:44:58 AM EDT
Well, I built up two nearly all Colt C7 clones ( had to use an off brand upper ) and they went together sooooo smoothly that I am actually nervous something is gonna go totally wrong.

These are my first guns where I built the not only the lowers but the uppers, too.....

Well, here I go!

NOW MIT PICKAGE HERE AND AT THE BOTTOM!!!  JA! JA! JA!

C7A1 RIFLE

C7A1 CARBINE (with a 6520 for company )

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
They always forget the pics

Have fun shooting!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
  Both rifles performed flawlessly in the operation phase. The rifle just ended up being zeroed at 25 yards and I only needed a wee bit of elevation adjustment to hit the 200 yard gongs from the six o'clock sight picture.  Nice.  Smooth, clean operation from several G.I. and a couple old school Thermold mags.  Trigger is breaking in nicely.

The carbine shot WAY to the left and now, after zeroing,  I need to move the front sight over to the left ( to move impact to the right ) so I can gain back some of that left windage.  The rear sight is just way to far to the right for my tastes. I'll try to get down to one of my friends shops to adjust that this week.

I sure wish I could have gotten TRUE, NEW Colt C7 uppers instead of that aftermarket stuff I had to buy.  Still, this is the only issue and it won't take but twenty or so minutes of labor to fix.  Everything else looks and behaves factory.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
We need pics
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How about this one?  But it is a large hole upper!  I used it for my R6500 clone "all Colt Parts gun" that is built to the late 330,000 s/n range configuration with forward assist, case deflector, and A1 sights.  The next year model later the A2 sight was introduced on the Sporter HBAR.

This upper is grey and color matches the circa '76 SP1 lower better than my original '82 CAR halves do.  The FCG is a RRA 2 stage that breaks right at 4.6 pounds.  A 1/7 Colt .gov barrel completes the magic.  I consider that double screw pivot pin a kind of "mechanical chastity belt" so she won't be casually mounted by "impure uppers".

Paladin

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Paladin, that is one clean gun!!!!  Sweet!!!!!!

So,  after redoing the carbine barrel I did get better results today and was able to gain back a bit of left windage.  Only about an inch and a half ( I wanted about 4 inches of windage ) but it did help.  The sight isn't so damn far over to the right.  The carbine also shoots better.  Though my 25 yard zero groups weren't as tight as I would like....I think a lot of that has to do with a 1/7 twist vs. a 55 grain bullet.  May have to go to a 1/9.  Still, despite only being able to shoot 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch groups on the zero target I can ring the 200 yard gong with regularity from the sitting.  Standing is a bit harder due to the short site radius but I am getting there.  Still, I think a 1/9 barrel is in my future for the carbine.

Now, the rifle....that is pure sweetness.  On my 25 yard zero I can shoot VERY tiny one hole goups and after adjusting my elevation to point of aim at 25 yards I can hit the 200 yard gong with a nice six o'clock site picture.  EASILY.  Gotta love the 1/12 + 55 grain mix.

Here's a couple of pics from the range!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
i never tire of seeing new build pics.  looks great.

-septic tank
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you sir!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
two great looking builds job well done congrats
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top