Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/5/2006 9:26:51 AM EDT
I'm installing a VLTor mod stock kit. Any tips for removing the castle nut on the reciever extension? It's tighter than hell and I don't want to force anything...suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:01:20 PM EDT
use the proper tool and twist it. Some lube may help.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:39:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:07:50 PM EDT
It's not a RRA rifle is it? If so you are screwed, they are loctited on. My buffer tube has the scracthes to prove it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:15:51 PM EDT
Heat it up to losen the loctite.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:47:09 PM EDT
Thnaks all..I got it done! Just took a bit more muscle than I thought!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:06:00 PM EDT
glad we could help.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:02:11 PM EDT
Why do they loctite it? Seems pretty stupid. If they just torque it to the military spec, there shouldn't be an issue at all. Why do such uncessary things?

What I do is, I take the barrel wrench and fasten a torque wrench to it. Set the torque wrench to 35ft/lbs. I tighten till it clicks. Once it clicks, I know 100% that there is at least the minimum spec on there. To line up the groove, I use a cheater-bar and gently nudge it till I get the perfect gas tube timing.

If the holes lineup before 35ft/lbs, and the next hole is well over 80-90ft/lbs..then there is a problem. I wouldn't solve that problem by tightening to less than 35 ft/lbs and substituting thread-locker. That's just crap. Of course, the tighten 3 times and loosen 3 times routine helps solve that problem. Always good to do that before doing the final torque on anything.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:35:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 2:36:47 AM EDT by SSeric02]

Originally Posted By Dont-Tread-On-Me:
Why do they loctite it? Seems pretty stupid. If they just torque it to the military spec, there shouldn't be an issue at all. Why do such uncessary things?

What I do is, I take the barrel wrench and fasten a torque wrench to it. Set the torque wrench to 35ft/lbs. I tighten till it clicks. Once it clicks, I know 100% that there is at least the minimum spec on there. To line up the groove, I use a cheater-bar and gently nudge it till I get the perfect gas tube timing.

If the holes lineup before 35ft/lbs, and the next hole is well over 80-90ft/lbs..then there is a problem. I wouldn't solve that problem by tightening to less than 35 ft/lbs and substituting thread-locker. That's just crap. Of course, the tighten 3 times and loosen 3 times routine helps solve that problem. Always good to do that before doing the final torque on anything.

He was asking about the castle nut on the receiver extension tube for collapsible stocks, not the barrel nut.

Any tricks to turning castle nuts that have been staked on guys?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:52:16 AM EDT

Works everytime.
Top Top