Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:21:22 AM EDT
I just installed a new willson 20" SS bull barrel and ran a cleaning patch with clip on it through the barrrel. The patch came out very dirty. I cleaned the barrel and then look at the barrel and saw what looked like copper fouling. I ran a patch with sweets copper remover down the barrel, followed with a dry patch. The dry patch came out blue indicating copper fouling? I clean all of copper out of the barrel and now I don't see any copper in the barrel.

Is this normal for a new barrel?
Does willson test fire there barrel?

The barrel was purchased new from M&A parts..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:52:20 AM EDT
i can't speak to wilson's manufacturing, but i've been around a shitpot of machine shops. although some give the appearance of being extra clean, it is a relatively dirty environment. also, keep in mind a very minute portion of copper can turn a patch blue.

i'd give it no worry. i am glad to see you cleaned it before using it. a lot of folks will take a brand new rifle or part and use it without proper prep. you'd be surprised how dirty some of these items can be...

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
Thanks for the reply.

As far as the copper fouling, I could actually see it in the barrel. It seemed excesive to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:03:39 PM EDT
just a little copper can do that. It could be from a test fire/ function check. Clean, lube, and shoot it

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:25:02 PM EDT
If the barrel was never built up, how could it be test fired. Sounds a little strange to me, but in the end it probably doesn't matter much as long as it looks new after cleaning.
Top Top