Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 12:04:46 AM EDT
I'm in the process of gathering up parts for a varmint upper build. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what mounts/risers/rings to get? What about proper heights for mounting a scope on my flattop? The scope will be between a 40-50mm objective (depending on which scope I decide to use). This build is on a budget mind you, I'll have about $450 in the upper itself. Not sure how much rings/mounts will cost to get decent ones that will hold zero even when taken off and remounted. Thanks for any input, Whipper
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:15:16 AM EDT
Whatever you decide on make sure its a one peice mount and rings it will be one stable peice
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:57:02 AM EDT
larue tactical, hands down if you plan on removing the optic a lot and want repeat zero.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:04:57 AM EDT

This build is on a budget mind you

The Larue is nice but not budget. You can get the Armalite mounts in EE for around 50-60 if you look and wait. Promag makes one in the range new also.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:28:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 5:29:26 AM EDT by jcovercash]
Im using an armalite 1 peice on my Beowulf and it works great. Its a 50mm VX-II and it fits fine.

Josh
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:51:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Easy_E:

This build is on a budget mind you

The Larue is nice but not budget. You can get the Armalite mounts in EE for around 50-60 if you look and wait. Promag makes one in the range new also.
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/barska.jpg

+1 for the ProMag unit. It's one of the cheap products out there that actually works well!

Tom
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:17:21 PM EDT
I have bought 2 rock river one piece mounts from Adco. IIRC they were $45 +$4 flat shipping.Good strong mounts excellent price.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:27:26 PM EDT
if your upper is a flat top you'll require "super high" rings regardless so your head isn't tipped down into the scope. varmint shooting lends itself to some prone work and mostly benchwork - both of which the super highs will work great with...

Badger are good - most people will tell you this. i like the Smith, IOR, PRS, and others. Warne are a really good bargain too. with any of these in "super high" you won't require risers. i'm not a big fan of the one piece mounts i see around here that are mostly cheapies, but admittedly, other than being the wrong height for me, the one i used to have worked ok.

if you bargain shop you might find a set of the rings i mentioned for $50 to $60. i had a spare used set i could have sold you but my .204 is finished at Superior Arms and i'll use them now for a rig i'll finish and use when i get the upper from them.

good luck and good shooting.

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:44:20 AM EDT
Warne Scope Mounts makes a great product. They have a high mount that I put on mine and it is superb. I actually know the owner and I've seen the facility and I can tell you the QC at that place is second to none. They're also a great value. You can find them on Cabela's, Brownell's and I think Midway may have them too.
Top Top