Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:07 PM EDT
What's the difference? which one functions better?  Wanting to build a tactical/home defense AR.  would be putting on the quad rail and collabsable stock.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Midlength has a longer distance between the chamber and the gas port (by about 2") than the carbine length system.  This lowers the gas pressure and, in theory, improves reliability.  Both systems function well.  

Shooting my midlength right after shooting a friends carbine, there was a subtle but noticable difference.  My middy felt smoother.  Not as sharp recoil as the carbine.  

Midlength is one of those good ideas that make one think "why didn't someone come up with this sooner?"  Lower pressure, smoother operation, longer sight radius, more real estate for gadgets, and the bayonet fits properly (if you're so inclined).  IMHO, For a 16" barrel it's the perfect choice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]

16" Midlength

16" CAR

+1

ARFCOM way is GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Midlength has a longer distance between the chamber and the gas port (by about 2") than the carbine length system.  This lowers the gas pressure and, in theory, improves reliability.  Both systems function well.  

Shooting my midlength right after shooting a friends carbine, there was a subtle but noticable difference.  My middy felt smoother.  Not as sharp recoil as the carbine.  

Midlength is one of those good ideas that make one think "why didn't someone come up with this sooner?"  Lower pressure, smoother operation, longer sight radius, more real estate for gadgets, and the bayonet fits properly (if you're so inclined).  IMHO, For a 16" barrel it's the perfect choice.

+1

middy is the way to go!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

middy is the way to go!

+2

I'm not building another 16" rifle with a carbine gas system. Only middy's from here on out.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
+1

I am about to order a middy kit myself, for all the reasons stated above.  Besides, I got this bayonette 15 years ago, and it's lonely!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for info.  just wanted to make sure before buying.

ARFCOM way is GET BOTH!

One at a time
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Get both is the standard ARFCOM answer around here if somebody ask which one to get.

But we all do it one at a time, some guys get twins, even consecutive serial numbers.

For myself I built two guns and put together a CAR last year (My put together means push two takedown pins, I'm done.).

The last one I rebuilt was my first carbine which I changed the barrel myself with Denny's Guns Operator mid length gas system barrel and installed a LaRue 9.0 free float rails tube.

Using both my midlength and CAR back to back, I prefer the slightly smoother action of the midlength.

My next project this year is a 20" match grade rifle. Have fun building your gun, it's a very satisfying hobby.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1

I am about to order a middy kit myself, for all the reasons stated above.  Besides, I got this bayonette 15 years ago, and it's lonely!

Sounds like a perfect reason to build another AR.

Hmmm...now you got me thinking....I got an extra roll pin laying around...And there just happens to be a gun show this weekend...and I always wanted one with coyote brown furniture....hmmm....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Once I can find a good source for a proof tested/MPC chrome midlength pencil barrel that will be my next build.

My recent 6320 build and my 6520 carbine are my last carbines....it's middie from here on out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
BUY IT!
full auto double bag----2 times
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
get the mid
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd only get a carbine gas system if you're running a 14.5" upper, for a 16" or even an 18" barrel I'd use a midlength gas system.  For 20"+.....obviously a rifle length system.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

Sounds like a perfect reason to build another AR.

Hmmm...now you got me thinking....I got an extra roll pin laying around...And there just happens to be a gun show this weekend...and I always wanted one with coyote brown furniture....hmmm....

Glad to know I am not the only one like this.  I am the type to build an entire AR just because there is an extra gas tube roll pin laying around.....  Call me crazy...

Edited for spelling....  Don't spell well when drinkin....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top