Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:07:21 AM EDT
My overmold came in today and I installed it right off. Very comfortable grip there!
However my saftey selector is very tight now is this normal?
should I drill the hole out a little more or should I clip a few coils off the spring?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure the safety/selector detent didn't fall out when you installed this grip?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]

From the INFORMATION above, part #5 is (as noted) more than likely your problem....

Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It is one of a few things.... but MOST likely.... it is the new grip that is the problem.

It is common with aftermarket grips, for the spring hole to not be at the correct depth.  This causes the spring to overcompress, and push too much tension on the detent for the safety selector.

The fix is to drill out the grip a bit, or just clip a few coils from the spring until it feels right.  No big deal.

Take your grip and spring off, and compare it to how deep the spring sat in the old grip.  this will tell you for sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is one of a few things.... but MOST likely.... it is the new grip that is the problem.

It is common with aftermarket grips, for the spring hole to not be at the correct depth.  This causes the spring to overcompress, and push too much tension on the detent for the safety selector.

The fix is to drill out the grip a bit, or just clip a few coils from the spring until it feels right.  No big deal.

Take your grip and spring off, and compare it to how deep the spring sat in the old grip.  this will tell you for sure.

Well Ill be sititng down and clipping coils since with a drill you screw up you buy a new grip more or less.
Im sure the detent didnt fall out and I never moved the spring  outta place when I pulled the old grip off.
so Ill start with a few coils and see where I end up
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
What kind of lower are we talking about here?   I put a hogue on an old sp1 receiver once and it would not work right.  The underside of the actual lever was not clearing the raised rubber surface of the grip.  The original a1 grip was a little thinner.  I've compared the old colt sp1 safety lever against newer ones, and the clearances are more generous with the new part.

Now, before I get flamed, I came to my senses and restored the sp1 to its old, slick slide a1 glory.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of lower are we talking about here?   I put a hogue on an old sp1 receiver once and it would not work right.  The underside of the actual lever was not clearing the raised rubber surface of the grip.  The original a1 grip was a little thinner.  I've compared the old colt sp1 safety lever against newer ones, and the clearances are more generous with the new part.

Now, before I get flamed, I came to my senses and restored the sp1 to its old, slick slide a1 glory.

Its on a RRA lower. it doesnt seem to be snagging on the grip like ive read from some people. but ill double check do be sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
i have 2 hogue grips on 2 AR's and on both of them it made the safety stiffer. does not bother me much just requires a little more force to get the safety switch to move.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have four and all the holes had to be cleaned out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a question... Do the Hogue grips come with a new grip screw, and is it the exact same length as the stock screw?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a question... Do the Hogue grips come with a new grip screw, and is it the exact same length as the stock screw?

nope
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I took a razor and trimmed of the excess on the grip. Shaved of a tiny sliver of rubber and that's all it took.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I took a razor and trimmed of the excess on the grip. Shaved of a tiny sliver of rubber and that's all it took.

I've put on 7 of them and two had this problem.  Just as said above, take a razor blade and remove a sliver of rubber that the selector is rubbing against.  Do not make a mountain out of a mole hill by clipping coils, drilling holes, and all that crap.  More than likely the back side of the safety/selector is rubbing against the grip and the grip needs to be thinned a little there.  Not a big deal so don't make it one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

this is the fix.  this has happened on every one i have.  i use a different grip now on everything and have traded them off for other parts, but the rubbery stuff sticks outside the width of the lower just a bit and the selector rubs on it.

the razor blade works fine.  if you're concerned about a really clean look, then mark it with a pen and remove it.  brush it along a bench grinder to remove the rubber material and if done carefully it'll look as if it were made by hogue that way.

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've put on 7 of them and two had this problem.  Just as said above, take a razor blade and remove a sliver of rubber that the selector is rubbing against.  Do not make a mountain out of a mole hill by clipping coils, drilling holes, and all that crap.  More than likely the back side of the safety/selector is rubbing against the grip and the grip needs to be thinned a little there.  Not a big deal so don't make it one.

You're no fun..

I put a Hogue grip on a gun and I needed a big hammer, a Dremel tool, a Swiss army knife, a 6' 2x4 and a compass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the same prob with the Houge grip I just bought fo rmy A1 I just used a heat gun a the top of the grip and then fliped the selector swith and it molded a grove for itself. Looks like houge made the channel for it to ride into.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had the same prob with the Houge grip I just bought fo rmy A1 I just used a heat gun a the top of the grip and then fliped the selector swith and it molded a grove for itself. Looks like houge made the channel for it to ride into.

Interesting.  Have any pics?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]
well I solved the selector problem. I had to cut 4 coils off the spring. and now she feels perfect :)
positive lock up in safe and fire the selector does not over spin or anything..its perfect :)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
well I solved the selector problem. I had to cut 4 coils off the spring. and now she feels perfect :)
positive lock up in safe and fire the selector does not over spin or anything..its perfect :)

I dunno about all this selector rubbing stuff.... I can definitely see where that could be a problem.... but I have 5 hogues on different AR's, and none of my selectors rubbed.  It was always a depth of the spring hole issue, if I had one.  With all the cheap LPK's out there, I have just gotten used to making this part of the building process for me, fine tuning the spring to where I like it.  I do it on pivot pin detent springs as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno about all this selector rubbing stuff.... I can definitely see where that could be a problem.... but I have 5 hogues on different AR's, and none of my selectors rubbed.  It was always a depth of the spring hole issue, if I had one.  With all the cheap LPK's out there, I have just gotten used to making this part of the building process for me, fine tuning the spring to where I like it.  I do it on pivot pin detent springs as well.

I checked for the rubbing issue in safe and in fire. Id hold the lower sideways and watch under the tab to see if anything was being caught and it clears just fine with no rubbing at all.
So I pulled the grip off and counted the coils that stuck up and marked it with a piece of dental floss. Transfered the spring to the stock grip..and well watched the "marked" section sink into the handle.
Counted the coils and clipped it. put the spring back in the Hogue grip and reassembled the grip and boom every thing went perfect.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1 I have had two Houges with the same problem, I cut a few coils off and it was better but it still did not feel right so I put the A2 grips back on.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
i had this problem, but then i used my brain and put a little drop of oil where it was binding up and presto no more stickyness. oil, its truly magical!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i had this problem, but then i used my brain and put a little drop of oil where it was binding up and presto no more stickyness. oil, its truly magical!!!!

next time, use your brain before posting, Einstein.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top