Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 5:03:05 PM EDT
Sonofa!  I had an out of spec trigger guard roll pin (from guess who) and broke the dam* lower trying to get it in.  I didn't hit the lower, just the pressure of the roll pin.  I've NEVER had this much trouble in 4 builds.

This is the last AR I ever build.  For the cost I have in this thing I could have (and should have) bought a RRA Tac-Entry.

Thanks _____________  . (fill in the blank with crappy "I should have known better than to buy this" kit supplier).

Oh well.  Guess I have to go get another lower.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
whoa whoa whoa...  is it completely broken off? and if so, post a picture!

seriously though..was it the suppliers fault? and if so.. IM me about who it was.. im new to this as well and would prefer to keep things stress free :-)

sorry to hear that man..i just bought my RRA LPK from Pete (Legal-Transfers) and it went in like butter.. i didnt even have any real equipment either.. ..just a pair of vise grips and a big ole' block of plastic.. CLP helped as well (i think)..

stupid thing is, my brother lives like 10 miles away and has the whole brownells roll pin set..like the holder and the punches.. i went over today and he shows me..they were still in the plastic sealed bags!!

better luck next time man..
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Could you use a magpul MIAD grip with the built in trigger guard on it still?  

You'd always know something was wrong with it but it would still work.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, it's broken.  My fault really.  I guess I'm just venting.

The roll pin was so hard to get in the end mushroomed.  I was trying to ease it back out to try a different one.

That's how it goes sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I always put a little moly grease on that pin when I take it out or put it in, it seems to always fit tight, unlike the bolt catch roll pins, those things are easy as can be to take out and put in I think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
That is the one area I pay most attention to. I also use a block on the opposite side to support, I also squeeze the roll pin on the end to help guide it thru. I know this doesnt help now. but maybe on the next build. Sorry to hear that though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
There are pins out there that will not close up enough to fit in the hole. I have had gas tube pins and trigger guard pins that were that way. You could completely close them up and they measured to large for the hole. Got a few pins once that were new and they were closed up with no gap from the start.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this problem with a DPMS lpk and a Stag lower,so i got out the drill and went after the trigger gaurd,slipped right in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Could you use a magpul MIAD grip with the built in trigger guard on it still?  

You'd always know something was wrong with it but it would still work.

Just a thought.

That might be a viable option for you.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You did not by chance put it thru the wrong hole? Ive seen someone break their guard detent near the mag well  by inserting the roll pin, and prying it out. Is this the ear loop that broke off? or did the roll pin ears closest to the pistol grip snap? post pics please.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
wow i cant believe that, what shtty luck man, sorry to hear

that little pin cracking it, wow, shame something to remember when i try my first build
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
DPMS parts kit in an OLY lower?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Considering that it is a non-stressed area of the receiver. It could be properly tig welded and re-machined, but JB weld has been used to repair much more critical items. You would be surprised at how durable it can be when properly used, and if attention is paid to insuring a good adhesive bond.

Try using JB Weld with a couple of strategically placed small pins for reinforcement.... or... you could go so far as to glue the Trigger Guard in permanently to support the whole assembly. I don't see any real downside of that, and that method would be very strong...Hell...The Space Shuttle and the Stealth Fighter are glued together...be creative...there's not much to lose at this point!

BTW...for future reference, roll pins are designed to slip in with very, very light tapping with a very light hammer.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#15]
No, it was the right hole.  Just a completely broken ear.  Rather than fool with it, I'll chalk it up to bad luck/a lesson learned and buy a new one.

It's almost embarrassing.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No, it was the right hole.  Just a completely broken ear.  Rather than fool with it, I'll chalk it up to bad luck/a lesson learned and buy a new one.

It's almost embarrassing.  

Give ya a dollar for your old receiver.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember seeing a fix for this.  Someone had come up with a good fix where you machine both ears completely off.  A hole is drilled and tapped where the ears used to be.  A new piece is machined to fit and installed.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I remember seeing a fix for this.  Someone had come up with a good fix where you machine both ears completely off.  A hole is drilled and tapped where the ears used to be.  A new piece is machined to fit and installed.  

unless you have access to the tools and equipment, thatll cost ya more than the 80-90bux a new lower would run ya. IMO. IM sure it could be salvaged some how. If anything, build a cheapo range plinker and not worry about trigger guard.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Dang.....

Well, aside from being "fugly", the lower should still fuction.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
hello all new to the forum.  300WSM would you be able to tell me what kit you were using,  as a person stuck in PRK I/we cannot afford to break anything with our lowers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the offers to buy guys, but my Pop wants to build a plinker off the lower.

I got my new lower and everything is now golden.  Will take her for a spin this w/e.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#22]
On the LPK I had there was NO WAY the roll pin was going through there so I closed up the gap with a small hammer to make the roll pin smaller in dia.  Then it did ok .  

You can fix that lower . If the whole tab broke off then just make a new trigger guard out of alum stock and screw it to the bottom of the lower just in front of the grip. By using a countersunk screw it wont hardly be noticible.  The screw will be straight up and down just in front of the grip.

Good luck
rj
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I had to same problem with a out of spec trigger guard roll pin last weekend. I had the area supported and was using a small plastic hammer as shown in the Bushmaster video.  The dealer said the LPK was a  RRA when I purchased.  Call him and he said I had messed up.  I have spend over 1k with that dealer in the last 4 weeks.  Guess who I am not going to buy from anymore.  I got the Magpul Miad and finished the lefty build this evening. After I calmed down I did try and put the pin in the trigger guard and it took several hard hit to get the pin in 1/2 way, never could get it out.  Next build I will make sure THAT pen fits first before installing.   I was embarassed also.  Hopefully others will read post such as this and not make the same mistake.  Read, live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#24]
With pins I like the idea of using a punch in one side with the pin going in the other.  Just to make sure evrything is aligned properly as you tap the one in the other comes out.  Alway support the trigger guard area with wood. There are worse things then launching detent pins into orbit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top