Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:29:37 AM EDT
I've built quite a few rifles. Started with M1s, then FALs, now ARs. Soon to be tackling AKs.
To me, I've "built" the M1s and FALs, and "assembled" the ARs.
The hardest part of assembling an AR is getting the correct timing on the barrel nut so the gas tube fits properly. Not very challenging. If you buy a kit, all you have to do is put the parts in the lower. Again, not very challenging. Headspace and barrel timing is set at the factory, so not much chance of screwing that up. The hardest thing after the barrel nut is timing the FH. With a peel washer all the fun's taken out of that.

So "build it yoyurself" is easy, but not really "building".

Flame away!

JoeLad
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#1]
No flame, you are correct on all accounts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Must agree…you won’t get a fight out of me. My Bulgie AK74.…that was “building” a rifle!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its the same thing here.  AR15s are big kid models.

Never thought of it that way. Your terminology might make my next “model kit” easier for Frau Quib to accept!  

“But liebling, it’s just a model!”
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So "build it yoyurself" is easy, but not really "building".
JoeLad

Now why did you have to go and piss on my parade, I really thought I had accomplished something.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree.  Installing an assembled upper on a complete lower is hardly "building".

I have assembled and I have built.  I build using the best parts I can find from a variety of sources (IMO, of course, other opinions may vary), getting the very best parts I can where they count and not paying for fancy logos and marketing hype.  You can't get what I build from any assembly source.

The modularness (is that even a word) is what appeals to all AR enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Close - "modularity".

I agree with the nomenclature and spirit of this post, but EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE MEEEE if I don't have routine access to a machine shop.

And does a "manufacturer" who uses CNC tools really "make" parts?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I thought I'd strike a nerve, but no go. The M1 wasn't too hard. Mostly barrel timing and headspace. Making dure those 60 year old parts were in spec could be trouble.
Same for the FAL. HS can be trickey there.

The AK, now that will be a BUILD experience. I'm using flats. And no sissy 12 ton press for me! I'll bend them with a hammer, trim them with a Dremel. Should keep me busy through the summer.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Any rifle you put together out of parts is just assembling isnt it? Whether it be an AR, an AK, or an FAL. The other ones might have some harder procedures than an AR but it is still assembly. After all you are not milling the receiver out of a solid block of steel or hand turning the barrels or carving or molding the stocks yourself are you? I think "build" is a very correct term.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The AK, now that will be a BUILD experience. I'm using flats. And no sissy 12 ton press for me! I'll bend them with a hammer, trim them with a Dremel. Should keep me busy through the summer.

JoeLad

HAMMER and DREMEL!? Tools are for Pu**ies. Real men use their bare hands and tools of the earth. Grab ya a big rock for a hammer and make a saw blade outa palm leaves and sand... ah now thats how a real man does it. And build it,dont assemble it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Having built assembled about a dozen ARs, I'd have to agree.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
1 FAL, 1 Mauser, and 5 AR's under my belt. 3 AMD's 2 FAL's and 2 HP's laying aound in parts.  I agree FAL and Mauser were built.  AR's were assembled
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
AR's are so easy its nice, i have done 2 and i buy the barrel and the upper separate, after your first barrel nut they become easy.
im working on a AK build now and man its alot more work, but sooo much cheaper!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any rifle you put together out of parts is just assembling isnt it? Whether it be an AR, an AK, or an FAL. The other ones might have some harder procedures than an AR but it is still assembly. After all you are not milling the receiver out of a solid block of steel or hand turning the barrels or carving or molding the stocks yourself are you? I think "build" is a very correct term.

+1

If you want to see building, check out the roderus forums.  Many guys there are machining almost all parts from scratch.  Some are even drilling and rifling their own barrels.

cncgunsmithing.com  has awesome step-by-step pics of receivers being machined from aluminum billet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Next time try a80% rec build. A little more to it. But if you got all the parts. Yea its just assembly work.(Still Fun!)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The important thing is not the journey, it't the end result.  As long as it goes boom when it should....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top