Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 11:09:05 AM EDT
I would like to switch my standard 20" A2 upper to a flat top upper.  I want it to be service rifle eligible for shooting matches.  I would also like to be able to take the carry handle off for scope mounting and varmint hunting.  Should I buy a complete new upper or have my upper receiver replaced?  I don't really want to spend the money on a new upper, but it's not looking like replacing just the upper receiver is going to be much cheaper.  Any opinions or ideas on what to do?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
buy a new upper that way you have 2
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Buying a complete flat top upper assembly is not a bad way to go. You will always be able to put your A2 upper back on it and have it service ready. But if you hang out here for any period of time you will eventually get another lower as well then you will have two nice rifles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Buying a complete flat top upper assembly is not a bad way to go. You will always be able to put your A2 upper back on it and have it service ready. But if you hang out here for any period of time you will eventually get another lower as well then you will have two nice rifles.

+1

Agreed.  The majority cost of an AR rifle is the upper.  Buying another upper, or even building one, is a good way to go.  Sooner or later, you may have the $250 or so for another lower, then...you'll have 2 ARs.

Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I believe that all those anti-gunners are still there, waiting for the next dem president to start the ban again.  When/If that happens, you will have two, and two is better than one when you can't get any more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you will have two, and two is better than one when you can't get any more.

And four is better than two, and then you wind up with six...

And no, I won't sell any.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
i dont have this problem, i just build new rifles
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i dont have this problem, i just build new rifles

Plus 1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
if you have a standard A2 upper, upgrade to a NM A4 complete upper.  if you had a NM A2 upper, then id just replace the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a new upper assembly! You won't regret.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top