Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:29 PM EDT

I've heard that early versions of M16A2s/AR15A2s would accept old M16A1 triangle handguards on their barrels, but newer ones might not--is there any truth to this? If so, does the slip ring play a role in this?

The reason I ask is that I've been thinking of putting together a rifle with both A1 and A2 features, and I'd really like to keep the A1 handguards if I can. I think they're a lot more comfortable than the A2 handguards, and just look cooler too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:15:43 PM EDT
You may have to dremel out a little material at the front of the hanguards to clear the heavier barrel, but they should work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:13:00 PM EDT
I was also wondering if A2 & A1 handguards were interchangable. Anyone ever had problems swapping one with the other?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:49:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 4:50:15 AM EDT by shamayim]
If the rifle the HGs are to be mounted on has a true A2 profile, and a triangle front bracket, the two types of HGs are interchangable w/o any problem.

If the barrel is, in fact a heavy version under the HGs, then you might have to do the routing mentioned above.

Most of the barrels out there will have the triangle front bracket, but I have seen an occasional civie barrel w/a round front piece. If yours is one of them, you're SOL for triangle HGs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:08:55 AM EDT
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:49:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shamayim:
If the rifle the HGs are to be mounted on has a true A2 profile, and a triangle front bracket, the two types of HGs are interchangable w/o any problem.

If the barrel is, in fact a heavy version under the HGs, then you might have to do the routing mentioned above.

Most of the barrels out there will have the triangle front bracket, but I have seen an occasional civie barrel w/a round front piece. If yours is one of them, you're SOL for triangle HGs.

Thanks for this info!
Top Top