Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:30:21 PM EDT
I get 3/4" carbon streaks on the barrel coming from under the gas block.

What can I do to stop the gas block?

Is there some sort of bonding agent that will fill the gap?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm no gas block expert but i've heard it said the aluminum units leak no matter what - compared to the barrel the aluminum expands and contracts at different rates and this can't be helped.  

if it's something else, i hope someone here can speak up.

hope this helps.

for what its worth, the "clamp on" blocks are super for removing the "streaks" you speak of...

septic tank
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
shoot it. it will plug up the leak on its own
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
You can use penetrating LocTite (green) to fill the gap and eliminate the leaks.  Carbon will eventually fill the space, but that makes the gas block difficult to remove.  Gentle heat from a torch will decompose the LocTite so the gas block then comes off easily.  Many gunsmiths do this routinely, so if you have problems removin a gas block, careful heating may fix it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking that the leak may seal itself with carbon after a while.

As far as using Loctite I would be concerned that it may migrate into the gas port.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Beano
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda hard to get tight seal with a slip fit joint and 50,000 psi ...

As long as rifle function as intended, move on.    Under side of my handgaurds and barrel OD been grey/tan for years.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top