Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:13:13 AM EDT
a buddy of mine has an old colt lower that has a screw for the front take down pin. he would like to know if he can change it to a push pin/detent style. this is a new one for me and i figured someone out here would know. i assume the question would be if the lower had a hole for the spring/detent right? TIA.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i assume the question would be if the lower had a hole for the spring/detent right?  

RIGHT!

If not it can still be done!  I had mine done at S.A.W. for 50 bucks or so!

MONEY WELL SPENT!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You're correct about the lower had a hole for the spring/detent but it also have to have a small pivot hole .250 DIA size for the mil push pin.

I converted a couple of Colt carbines with screw pivot type to push pins.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If it has a mil-spec .250" pivot pin (same size as rear pin) and has a raised fence around the mag release button, it can be converted to a captive pivot pin. If the hole is already drilled in the front end of the fence, then all that is needed is a new pivot pin, spring, and detent. If the hole is not there, it will need to be drilled.

If it has the large .315" pivot (with the two screw heads), then he'll have to buy one of the self-captivating pins:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/oak-01.asp
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
adcofirearms does this type of work
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
adcofirearms does this type of work

Drill the hole for the pivot detent?

$75.00 parts included (ouch)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top