Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:52:02 PM EDT
Well, I am taking classes at the local technical college here in Charleston and one of my teachers is the Chief of police for Charleston. I printed up all of my SBR paperwork and took it to him. When I asked him about signing off on the papers, he turned into an ANTI!!! Asking why I needed an 11.5" barrel on my rifle and what I was planning on doing with it. Then he stated that before he would even think about signing it, he would have to do an extensive background check. He also said that if I ever applied with any P.D. they would ask me why I needed a 11.5" barrel for my AR. Needless to say, I was extremely pissed. I guess my next course of action is to contact the Sheriff to sign off
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a pisser! Too bad your COP is a dick. Your sheriff is probably your last resort (other than moving to another city/county). I recently got approval by my local sheriff for both a concealed weapon permit and a silencer. No questions asked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't even know if it's worth worrying about for now. In a year or so I will be moving to Oregon, I think, so maybe I'll just worry about it when I get there
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't get anyone to sign off, you could probably go the corporate route.  Start yourself a corporation through the state.  Then the corporation could purchase it, without any signature, background check, or fingerprints.  Corporations don't have them.  There are others here who know more about this than myself, since I am going the normal route (my local COP is cool with SBRs and silencers, as well as MGs if I could come up with the funds for one).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Man I feel for you I want to do the same here in Greenville and I'm not sure what to expect.  I'll register as a corp if I get turned down.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
you can also try the DA, i think that they can sign
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't even know if it's worth worrying about for now. In a year or so I will be moving to Oregon, I think, so maybe I'll just worry about it when I get there

Pretty easy to get stuff signed off here.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
corporation time
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#10]
ETA - found it
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
corporation time

+1... Makes things easier in the long run.

-C4-
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
How about just mail the department the paper work with a nice professional letter as a cover sheet and see if they fill it out by mistake in a bureaucratic blunder?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]
LLC !

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I am taking classes at the local technical college here in Charleston and one of my teachers is the Chief of police for Charleston. I printed up all of my SBR paperwork and took it to him. When I asked him about signing off on the papers, he turned into an ANTI!!! Asking why I needed an 11.5" barrel on my rifle and what I was planning on doing with it. Then he stated that before he would even think about signing it, he would have to do an extensive background check. He also said that if I ever applied with any P.D. they would ask me why I needed a 11.5" barrel for my AR. Needless to say, I was extremely pissed. I guess my next course of action is to contact the Sheriff to sign off

Maybe you just omitted it, but I don't see where he said "no."  I do see where he asked you a bunch of questions you probably didn't have answers for and pushed your buttons a little.  Have you tried actually going down to Lockwood, going through proper channels, and seeking his signature that way?  Just a thought.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top