Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:26:36 PM EDT
Got a RRA 6pos collapsable and I can't back the castle nut off.  I have an armorers wrench but it won't budge.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
set it inthe freezer for an hour or so          see if that helps ya
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
A little heat with a propane torch or a GOOD heat gun to break down the Loctite.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I was guessing heat, but the freezer?!  No heat gun or propane torch, guess I've got an excuse to buy a heat gun.  This is really pissing me off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd give a heat gun a whirl as well.

Hey they're only about $20 and I find it pretty damn useful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Where can I get one for $20?

Stick, I'm using a cheap half circle three prong wrench.  Not really a multi function armorers wrench.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where can I get one for $20?

Stick, I'm using a cheap half circle three prong wrench.  Not really a multi function armorers wrench.

I got my heat gun at Ace Hardware I think.  I saw some at WalMart the other day for right around $20.  They're in the paint department.  I bet you can even find one at The Home Depot.  

I use the Bushmaster TeleStock wrench (and I'm assuming you have the new style castle nut?)

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-telewrench2.asp Only $6.50 on their Site.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My wrench is very similiar to that one.  I'm gonna run to WM.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I took a hatchet, balanced it on the edge of the castle nut and smacked the hatchet with a hammer....Damn thing spun right off....and you can barely tell where I hit it with the hatchet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Got it.  Had to get it really hot and get mean with the wrench.    Would have been easier with a cheater bar, the wrench handle is too damn short.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top