Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:44:47 AM EDT
My new grip does not want to start onto the rail. The HG was advertised as mil-spec but I've read that these terms do get fudged a bit by some manufacturers. I was considering releiving/chamfering the front edge with an exacto a tad to help get it started but wanted to check with the experts first. The railed HG is a FF unit from DPMS, it was not listed as being incompatible as these were:
*Fobus or First Samco Rails
*ARMS S.I.R. System
*Bushmaster BMAS

Is is possible they just don't fit the DPMS rails or is the extreme tightness normal and I just gotta force it a bit? Is a small hammer a bad idea?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:05:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 8:06:35 AM EDT by Edbert]
Okay, to answer my own question...

Using this chart provided by Tango Down (www.tangodownllc.com/pdf/BGV-MK46.pdf) the dimension near the bottom edge of the drawing "2X.367 MIN" is not correct on my HG. The HG accepted two different mounts from other manufacturers but unless I shave some material off the VFG is simply wont fit this HG.

So take this post not as a question but add the DPMS raild FF HG as incompatible with the "BGV-MK46" sold by Tango Down.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
here you go tango down VFG
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:19:16 AM EDT
I had a TD VG which fit fine on my Surefire M73 but wouldn't fit on my LaRue 7.0

Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:07:23 PM EDT
Use some thing to hold down the dual locking bars( small zip ties fit great )

Put a little lube on both surfaces and push real hard. if that does not work you can tap it on with a block of 2x4 or something that will not hurt the rails or TD FVG . Hope it helps

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 5:35:29 PM EDT by Edbert]
Well, I spent a few hours with a flat file and beveled off the inner edge of the top surface, used about a 45* angle and the new flat I created was about 0.20 inch. Then with some coaxing with a standard claw hammer and a small piece of wood to avoid damaging it it went onto the rail.

ETA: I appreciate the constructive advice I get here, I need to overcome my fears of using some brute force on this thing. It took me a long time to remove the FSB since I just wasn't hitting the taper pins hard enough. The BFH principle definitely applies to these things.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:50 PM EDT
Finally got my TD VG on my YHM FF Rails...I also filed the upper outside edges then when I was able to slide it partially onto the rail, I took a block of wood and tapped it on with a hammer. I think I filed enough so it tapped on pretty lightly.

Question, could this dammage the FF rail?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:50:44 PM EDT
I got mine onto my YHM rails with a 2x4 and a hammer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:54:49 PM EDT
I really like the looks and functionality of the tango down VFG and was thinking of buying one, but for around $60, it should not take the modifying that ya'll are talking about to get it mounted. Is there a better VFG out there?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:11:32 PM EDT
After modifying it, I think it was still worth it. I've checked out the other grips and the TD is my favorite..but everyone has a diff. opinion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:14:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brians_45:
I got mine onto my YHM rails with a 2x4 and a hammer.

Rubber mallet here.
Top Top