Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 10:22:10 PM EDT
Ok I've been painting my ARs/parts with this stuff for a couple of weeks. First few sets of lowers came out  great. Stuff wont come off. This week I painted a M1A SAGE stock with the same stuff / procedures and the GK just flakes off. I had a couple of other pieces I did at the same time but in a different color and that stuff, baked in the same over, is hard as a coffin nail. Any ideas on why it works one time and not another?

Open for suggestions
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually the problem is in the prep.  The surface should be sand blasted with Aluminum Oxide sand blast media and not any media with Silica in it.  Gun Kote also sells an etching type stuff you spray on before applying the GunKote that makes it stick better.  Also watch the temp. and humidity when you apply the GunKote.  Cold temps aren't good and high humidity can also be bad.  

If you paint a slick surface without prep, the GK will just peel off.  The AR stuff may have been rough already or etched from the factory so the GK stuck well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]
First, you have to degrease.

When you are done with that.................degrease.

When you finish that....................degrease.

Use gloves when handling degreased parts.

Preheat the parts.

Spray GK with an air brush.

Bake.

Did I mention degrease upfront?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the words

I think the problem was the sage stock. It was anodized but it was still a little slick. I sand blasted it today and will give it another shot.

I wonder if I should degrease it or not
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the words

I think the problem was the sage stock. It was anodized but it was still a little slick. I sand blasted it today and will give it another shot.

I wonder if I should degrease it or not

It may have been Teflon coated also

That, sir, is a fact, especially with Norrell's tan.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What's wrong with Norrell's tan?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I sand blasted it and gave it another shot with the KG tan. It's not coming off now-stuck very well. I just bought a blasting cabinet so I could do some more parts. Not going to have very many all black rifles in a few weeks.

In response to Teknic's comment, does anyone know if one color will stick better than another?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I used the Norrell's tan on a stripped lower and am planning to use it on more parts when I get them.  My oven doesn't hold temps very well, should I expect variations in the color?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top