Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:01 PM EDT
I just rebarreled, all OK, except for the roll pin thru the gas tube.  Can't seem to get this through both sides of the front site base.  I have already ruined 4 pins, flattened them out.  The pin gets to the other side but hangs and won't move.  I got 80% of the pin through.  Accordingly, the rifle doesn't get enough gas to recycle.
How do I get this pin straight through?  Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Bill D
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just rebarreled, all OK, except for the roll pin thru the gas tube.  Can't seem to get this through both sides of the front site base.  I have already ruined 4 pins, flattened them out.  The pin gets to the other side but hangs and won't move.  I got 80% of the pin through.  Accordingly, the rifle doesn't get enough gas to recycle.
How do I get this pin straight through?  Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Bill D

Are you 100% sure your gas tube is oriented correctly... with the gas port down, and the roll pin hole correctly aligned?  With the roll pin removed, you should be able to see a clean hole through the FSB, through the gas tube roll pin hole, and out the other side.  This must be visually lined up before attempting to install the roll pin.  If it still hangs up, insert from the other side, just in case there is a bur on one side (highly doubtful)

Make sure you are using the correct roll pin size....

The roll pin does not need full insertion to make the gun run... so that fact you arent cycling, tells me you got the tube oriented wrong, or some trash keeping you from aligning it properly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Falarak:
the tube is oriented properly.  I can put a 1/16 drift through, all lines up very well.  I don't understand what can be failing to line up.  the gun cycles well half the time and the case is ejected.  sometimes the case hangs up.  I visually saw soot around the front site base.  I figure there is not enough gas going through.  hey, I am all ears.  
bill d
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Falarak:
the tube is oriented properly.  I can put a 1/16 drift through, all lines up very well.  I don't understand what can be failing to line up.  the gun cycles well half the time and the case is ejected.  sometimes the case hangs up.  I visually saw soot around the front site base.  I figure there is not enough gas going through.  hey, I am all ears.  
bill d

Well... if you can easily get a 1/16" drift in, you should be able to get a 5/64" roll in installed.

If the gun now cycles half the time.... I might assume the barrel chosen has an issue.... with the chamber, or gas port.  Who made the new barrel?

Visual soot around FSB is normal... you will get some blow by and it will self-seal completely eventually.  This new barrel, did it come with a preinstalled FSB?  Give us more details.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
FAL:
the upper is a BushM, the barrel is a DPMS DCM model, 20 inch.  The front site base came with the DPMS barrel and it has the 4 adjustable set screws for windage for the mech zero.
Can't I just stick something else other than a 5/64 roll pin? I am thinking I am losing gas, maybe there are other problems?  Fal, you sound knowledgeable, what gives?
billy
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It is possible that FSB is out of spec.  Wouldn't be the first time I saw a DPMS cast part totally off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had the same problem. To solve this, put a chamfer on both ends of the roll pin.  Does not take much, chamfer the end until you have a nice fully rounded edge. The chamfered end will match up and slide into the opposite side hole easier.  Lube the pin well, use a roll pin starter.  I first had this problem with the rear sight pin not wanting to go into the opposite side hole.  Now I chamfer all of my roll pins.  Hope this works for you.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a small C clamp to push roll pins in with.  I have also used channel lock pliers also to squeeze pins in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is a good place to get a couple of spare roll pins without paying $5 for shipping?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where is a good place to get a couple of spare roll pins without paying $5 for shipping?

www.midwayusa.com will ship light stuff USPS first class which is pretty cheap.  My last order was $3 for shipping some pins and a carbine recoil spring.  Basic roll pins are about $1 each.  You can get a shipping cost in the shopping cart.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
holly mackeral... I just came up from pounding in a pin and same problem, wouldn't go all the way through. So that's the way it's staying for now.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I had trouble today with the same thing.  My solution was a brass punch small enought to line the hole up better.  Too many times I was trying to put the pin in at an angle obviously that did not work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I took the site base off the barrel and found that the two holes for the roll pin were not lined up!!  I spent quite some time with this and I am not a happy camper!  However, I put the tube in the fsb and cleaned it up with a 5/64 drill bit and the roll pin went in nicely.  Alignment is important; however, the item needs to be drilled properly by the manufacturer!
Soon as I can, I'll head to the range and sight her in. PIA to say the least!
everyone's help is appreciated.
billy
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:50:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top